Juicy, tender, and succulent Air Fryer Shrimp ready in under 10 minutes! Never overcook your shrimp again with this quick and easy recipe.
Over the years I’ve learned that shrimp are VERY easily overcooked and nothing is worse than tough, rubbery shrimp. This foolproof Air Fryer Shrimp recipe is as simple as it gets and will cook your shrimp to perfection every single time!
Thanks to the Air Fryer, you can enjoy delicious “fried” food but with 70%-80% less calories than if you were frying in oil. If you love Air Fryer meals as much as I do, check out some of my other Air Fryer recipes. One of my favorite ways to enjoy these beautiful “fried” crustaceans is with these Air Fryer Shrimp Fajitas.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- Done in a flash! These air fryer shrimp are ready to devour in just 10 minutes.
- Versatility. These shrimp can be enjoyed in a wide variety of dishes. Toss them in your favorite pasta to make shrimp pasta, use them in shrimp tacos or serve over a plate of grits. The options are endless!
- Simple seasoning. All you need is salt and pepper. Shrimp are extremely delicate and don’t need much seasoning to take on a great flavor!
- Serve as an appetizer. Having friends coming over? Cook shrimp in the air fryer and serve it with the best ever cocktail sauce!
Complete list of ingredients and amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Shrimp: Make sure your shrimp are thawed, peeled and deveined. It’s okay to leave the tails on! They make your shrimp look larger and more presentable.
- Oil: I used olive oil in this recipe but you can use any neutral oil with a higher smoke point. If you’re using olive oil, I recommend using light rather than extra virgin.
- Garlic: Because garlic makes everything taste better.
- Salt and Pepper: Shrimp doesn’t need much seasoning, salt and pepper will do the trick!
How to Air Fry Shrimp
It’s so simple! Follow these steps:
- Prep the Air Fryer. First, you’ll want to preheat your air fryer to 400°F/205°C so it’s good to go.
- Season. Drizzle shrimp with olive oil, add minced garlic, and sprinkle salt and pepper. Give everything a nice toss to distribute the seasoning evenly.
- Air Fry. Arrange the shrimp in a single layer in the air fryer basket and air fry for 6 minutes. You can air fry them for another minute if you feel they aren’t cooked through but be cautious because shrimp can overcook easily.
Tips and Tricks
- Don’t use too much salt! You might be tempted to use more salt but shrimp are already naturally salty. Use a light hand when salting your shrimp!
- Use jumbo shrimp. They’re on the bigger side but when air fried, jumbo shrimp are the perfect bite size. I used the 21-25 count.
- Repurpose the shells. Crustacean shells are packed with flavor. If you’re peeling the shrimp by hand, store the shells in a Ziploc bag in the freezer and use them to make a delicious seafood stock later.
Frequently Asked Questions
Technically you can air fry frozen shrimp but it is not advised for this recipe because the salt and pepper will not penetrate the flesh. For the best results, make sure your shrimp are thawed completely.
It’s super easy and only takes about 5-10 minutes! Add your shrimp to a Ziploc bag, press all of the air out, then run cold water over the bag for 5-10 minutes, and your shrimp will be perfectly thawed.
Definitely! Cook times will vary depending on the size of shrimp you use. If you are using smaller shrimp take a few minutes off the initial cook time and keep an eye on them, using your best judgment for when they are cooked through.
What to Serve with these Air Fried Shrimp
Make shrimp stir fry! Toss with your favorite veggies to make a stir fry. Try my All Purpose Stir Fry Sauce. For veg, I would use snow peas, baby corn, onion, and bell peppers.
How to Thaw and Store
To Thaw don’t use warm or hot water to thaw your shrimp, and don’t run water over the shrimp without a Ziploc bag. The shrimp will soak up the water and become soggy. We don’t want soggy shrimp!
Store your air fried shrimp for no longer than 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Now that you’re a pro at making this quick and easy Air Fried Shrimp. Make sure to Pin this recipe so more people can enjoy it too!
- 1 pound shrimp thawed, shells removed and deveined (tails can be left on)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F/205°C.
- Drizzle with olive oil, and add garlic. Season with salt and pepper and toss everything to combine.
- Arrange seasoned shrimp in the air fryer basket. Cook for 6 minutes in total.
- If you feel they’re not cooked through, cook for an additional minute or two but be very careful as you don’t want to dry out the shrimp, it can become tough and rubbery.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
© Little Sunny Kitchen