These golden fish fillets are cooked in the air fryer until crispy and delicious. Covered in a tasty crust, the fish remains soft and velvety from the inside. Ready in just 20 minutes!
You guys LOVED my air fryer chicken breast recipe that I shared with you on the blog, so I thought that it would be a good idea to also share my air fryer fish recipe. The fish turns out crispy, moist and absolutely delicious! I’m sure that you will love it as much as I do.
AIR FRYER FISH
Ever since I got my air fryer, I’ve been obsessed with it! It’s just so easy to use, and I love the fact that I can still cook my favourite food in it without all the grease. Every time my husband wants to roast or fry something, he just throws it in the air fryer instead (I’m not kidding!).
This is a wonderful way to cook fried style fish with very little oil, which makes it an easy and guilt-free meal that you can enjoy at any day of the week.
We make it quite often as this is our healthier fish and chips version that we all love.
I’ve seen many recipes on the internet where you need to spray the oil over the breading before you air fry the fish.
I found that this method causes the breading to fall off, and it’s also not a very healthy way to cook food in my opinion (I try to avoid using cooking sprays).
Join our private Instant Pot and Air Fryer Facebook group where we share exclusive recipes, and answer all of your IP and AF questions! We hope to see you there!
WHAT KIND OF FISH CAN BE COOKED IN THE AIR FRYER
This recipe can work with any kind of fish fillets! Use cod, tilapia, catfish, salmon etc…
The best way to defrost fish is by leaving it in the fridge overnight. If the piece is not too big, you could just leave it in the counter for an hour or 2 until it’s defrosted.
TOOLS NEEDED TO MAKE AIR FISH
- An Air Fryer. This is my favorite air fryer.
- Stainless steel locking tongs
- I can’t live without this non-stick grill pan accessory, I use it all the time!
- I love these stainless steel measuring cups and use them every time I cook, as well as those measuring spoons.
- These are the mixing bowls that you see in all of my pictures, they’re honestly the best!
- An Air Fryer. This is my favorite air fryer.
- This air fryer magnetic cheat sheet is very handy, it contains cooking time and temperature to cook 66 most common ingredients which I find very useful.
- I also really like these air fryer parchment liners, they’re not just for steaming and you can use them for cooking things like fries or chicken without worrying that the food will stick to the basket. They’re also quite cheap and there are 100 pcs in a package.
- And for a full set of air fryer accessories, I recommend this set.
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER FISH – STEP BY STEP
I normally use fresh fish fillets to make this. But you could also use high-quality frozen fish fillets, just make sure that they’re defrosted.
You will need some olive oil to coat the fish fillets before coating in the breading.
For the breading, use either homemade or store bought bread crumbs. Mix with any spices that you like, onion and garlic powders, black pepper, salt etc
Coat each fish fillet in the breading, and remove any excess breading before you cook in the air fryer.
Cook in the air fryer at 200c (390f) for 12-15 minutes, flipping halfway through at 8-10 minutes.
Serve hot with tartar sauce and lemon wedges.
COOK’S TOP TIPS FOR MAKING THE PERFECT AIR FRYER FISH
- You could use either fresh fish fillets or frozen fish fillets that are defrosted. The fillets should not be too thin as thin strips won’t work in this recipe.
- Make sure that your air fryer basket is not overcrowded as that will prevent the fish from crisping.
- You might need to adjust the cooking times depending on the kind and the thickness of the fish that you’re using and the model of your air fryer. Fish is ready when it’s easily flaked with a fork.
GLUTEN FREE AIR FRYER FISH
WHAT TO SERVE WITH AIR FRYER FISH
The best ever oven baked fries
Middle Eastern Batata Harra
Cheesy mashed potato cakes
And of course, tartar sauce! Or hot sauce!
Weight watcher points: 3 WW smart points.
If you make this air fryer fish, please don’t forget to rate this recipe and share a picture on social media. Tag #LittleSunnyKitchen in your posts as I would really love to see what you make! Thank you for supporting Little Sunny Kitchen, so I can keep sharing my family recipes with you for free.
Air Fryer Fish
- 8 (800 grams) fish fillets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup 50 grams bread crumbs If following Gluten free diet, use gluten free breadcrumbs.
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp dried chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- If using frozen fish fillets, defrost them. Drizzle with olive oil, and mix the fish to make sure that it’s well coated with oil.
- In a shallow dish, mix the bread crumbs with paprika, chili powder, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and salt.
- Coat each fish fillet in bread crumbs, and transfer to your air fryer basket.
- Cook in the air fryer at 390F or 200C for 12-15 minutes. After the first 8-10 minutes, open the air fryer and flip the fish fillets on the other side then continue cooking.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Little Sunny Kitchen.