Super easy and flavorful chicken fajitas made quickly in the Air Fryer! The chicken is succulent and bursting with flavor and the peppers and onions are crunchy and delicious. A great dinner for busy mid-week nights!
These Air Fryer fajitas are low carb, keto, paleo, low fat and whole30 compliant.
I probably have tried making fajitas using all methods possible. I mean, we have Instant Pot fajitas, baked chicken fajitas, vegan fajitas, and even fajita rice and homemade fajita seasoning. So I figured that it was time sharing my Air Fryer fajitas recipe with you.
Making fajitas in the Air Fryer is very convenient and easy. When you cook your food in an Air Fryer, it means that you won’t need to reheat the whole thing like a massive oven. The food cooks quicker, and crisps quicker than compared to an oven.
And my favorite part? Not much washing up to do afterward!
TOOLS THAT YOU WILL NEED:
- An Air Fryer. This is my favorite.
- Stainless steel locking tongs
- I can’t live without this non-stick grill pan accessory, I use it all the time!
- I love these measuring spoons to measure out the seasonings.
- These are the mixing bowls that you see in all of my pictures, they’re honestly the best!
- This air fryer magnetic cheat sheet is very handy, it contains cooking time and temperature to cook 66 most common ingredients which I find very useful.
- I also really like these air fryer parchment liners, they’re not just for steaming and you can use them for cooking things like fries or chicken without worrying that the food will stick to the basket. They’re also quite cheap and there are 100 pcs in a package.
- And for a full set of air fryer accessories, I recommend this set.
Ingredients needed to make Air Fryer chicken fajitas
- Chicken strips, bell peppers (all colors possible), and onion (red or yellow).
- Vegetable oil – use any kind of oil that you have, I used canola in this recipe.
- Fajita seasoning – I always make my own homemade seasoning mix so make sure to check out my recipe.
How to make chicken fajitas in the Air Fryer?
Prep the vegetables (don’t slice them too thin as you might end up with burnt veggies), and slice the chicken.
Then season everything with oil, and fajita seasoning. Be generous with fajita seasoning and make sure that everything is well coated.
Place in the Air Fryer basket. No need to preheat it.
Cook on 200c (392f) for 15 minutes shaking the basket halfway through. The cooking time depends on the thickness of the chicken strips, and the model of your Air Fryer so you might need 20 minutes.
Make sure not to overcrowd your Air Fryer basket. If you put layers and layers of chicken and veg, and the is basket is overly filled then the food will “steam” rather than “bake” and char.
HOW TO CHECK IF THE CHICKEN IS COOKED THROUGH
You can check the doneness of the chicken by using a fork and a knife and cut through a small piece to see if the meat is well cooked in the middle.
But the best way to check is with a kitchen thermometer as it will ensure that your chicken is now safe to eat. Simply insert the thermometer in the center of the chicken piece, and the internal temperature of the chicken should be read 165F or 75C. If it hasn’t reached that temperature, just put it back in the oven and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes and check again.
I never buy store-bought fajita seasoning as I find it much healthier and cheaper making my homemade fajita seasoning. I mean if you look at the back of the fajita seasoning pack, you will find so many weird chemical ingredients that you cannot even pronounce. So why not make your own fajita seasoning at home with spices that you already have on your spice rack?
Check out my homemade fajita seasoning recipe to make your own.
I use this spice blend for not just fajitas, but also for tacos and other chicken recipes. I store the seasoning in a jar and use it whenever I need to, it also helps save some money and time especially on really busy weeknights when I just need a meal ready really quickly with very minimal effort.
How to serve Air Fryer chicken fajitas?
They can be either enjoyed with no bread, like chicken fajita bowls which is perfect if you’re following a keto or low-carb diet.
Top with guacamole, pico de gallo, sour cream, lime wedges, fresh cilantro, etc.
Or wrap in tortilla bread, you can use wheat tortillas or corn tortillas.
If you’re avoiding gluten, then use gluten-free tortilla bread.
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS: 5 SMARTPOINTS PER PORTION ON WEIGHT WATCHERS FREESTYLE PLAN.
ARE THESE CHICKEN FAJITAS GLUTEN FREE?
The fajitas are 100% gluten-free if you’re using a GT tortilla bread.
Join our private Instant Pot and Air Fryer Facebook group where we share exclusive recipes, and answer all of your IP and AF questions! We hope to see you there!
MORE AIR FRYER RECIPES
- Air Fryer chicken drumsticks
- Crispy Air Fryer chicken breast
- Air Fryer chicken tenders
- Crispy Air Fryer fish
- Air Fryer Salmon
- Air Fryer hot dogs
- Air Fryer whole chicken
- Air Fryer hamburgers
If you make this recipe, please don’t forget to share your feedback with a rating in the comments below. I hope you enjoy!
Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- 1 pound (450 grams) chicken cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper sliced into ½ inch slices
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced into ½ inch slices
- 1 green bell pepper sliced into ½ inch slices
- 1 red onion sliced into wedges
- 3 tablespoons fajita seasoning
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Prep the vegetables (don't slice them too thin as you might end up with burnt veggies), and slice the chicken.
- Drizzle oil over the chicken strips, and season with the fajita seasoning. Toss well and make sure that they're evenly coated with the seasoning. Add the veggies, and season well. Make sure that everything is well coated in fajita seasoning.
- Put everything in an Air Fryer basket. Cook at 200°C (390°F) for about 15 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Serve with warmed tortillas, pico de gallo, avocado slices or guacamole.
- These Air Fryer fajitas are low carb, keto, paleo, low fat and whole30 compliant.
- 5 Smartpoints per portion on the Weight Watchers Freestyle plan.
- The fajitas are 100% gluten-free if you’re using a GT tortilla bread.
- Make sure not to overcrowd your Air Fryer basket. If you put layers and layers of chicken and veg, and the is basket is overly filled then the food will “steam” rather than “bake” and char.