These Instant Pot Fajita rice bowls are so quick to make, filling and full of flavor! They make feeding the family so easy, and will soon become one of your favorite Instant Pot recipes.
INSTANT POT FAJITAS
Earlier this year, I shared with you my Instant Pot chicken fajitas recipe. And everyone loved it! It was shared over 100,000 times on social media by readers and I received amazing feedback from you guys! And that’s when I figured that I had to share my Instant Pot steak fajitas recipe on the blog, and again you shared many wonderful pictures of your fajitas with me and it made everyone happy.
We make fajitas at home all the time, and then my husband – a big fan of rice – thought what if we add rice and make fajitas just like we make burrito bowls. We’ve tried that, and it was a big hit in our house! We made a large portion in my Instant Pot 6qt and it was gone within 20 minutes.
INSTANT POT FAJITA RICE BOWLS
This is basically fajitas + rice + lots of flavors, all made in just one pot! The chicken is cubed and sauteed, the vegetables are then added along with the rice, and everything cooks to perfection. In the end, just stir in some sour cream for extra creaminess and flavor, and melt some mozzarella cheese. The result is incredible!
Here are the ingredients that you will need to make these fajita rice bowls:
Chicken breast – cubed
Vegetable oil – for sauteeing
Red, yellow and green bell peppers – or any color available, diced
Onion – diced, red or yellow
Tomato – diced
Long grain rice – rinsed
Sour cream – optional
Mozzarella cheese – optional
TOOLS NEEDED TO MAKE THESE FAJITA BOWLS IN THE INSTANT POT
First of all, you need an Instant Pot (obviously!). I have Instant Pot Duo 6 Qt 7 in 1, it’s the best!
Fajita seasoning, either make your own or get a ready fajita spice mix (I like this Smoky BBQ mix).
You might also need tortilla bread if you decide to roll up the leftovers in tortillas, I use this brand.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT FAJITA BOWLS – STEP BY STEP
Click on saute for 10 minutes, add oil and let the pot heat up.
Add the chicken, and let it brown a little.
Move the chicken to one side of the pot, then add the diced onion and bell peppers and cook them for a few minutes.
Add the diced tomatoes but do not cook them.
Rinse the rice until the water runs clear, then add it to the pot.
Now comes the seasoning, you will lots of it and that’s totally fine. If you don’t add enough, the rice might not be as flavorful as it should be. So add in the fajita seasoning.
And finally, the stock. Give everything a good mix, then cover with the lid. Make sure that the valve is set on sealing position. Click on manual or pressure cooking, choose high pressure and cook for 8 minutes. The pressure cooker will take some time to come to pressure, then it will start cooking.
When the time is up, carefully quickly release the steam. And using a fork, fluff the rice.
Stir in a dollop of sour cream, and you can also melt some shredded mozzarella cheese if you like.
Top with grated mozzarella, then cover with the lid and let it stand for just 1 minute. The cheese will melt, give the rice a quick stir and it’s ready to be served!
This is very similar to Mexican rice. If you add some beans, you will get something very similar to Mexican rice or burrito.
The amount of cheese added depends on what you like, I skip it sometimes. And sometimes all I want is cheese, so I add lots of it.
Now let’s talk about the toppings – aka my favorite part!
There are so many things that you can top your fajita bowl with, but below are my favorite ones:
- Extra sour cream!
- Sliced avocado
- Pico de gallo
- Refried beans
- Extra cheese
- You can skip the chicken if you would like to make vegetarian fajita rice.
- The chicken will not really brown as you saute it, there will be lots of moisture and it will just cook without browning.
- Do not cook the peppers for too long, just a minute. As you don’t want to end up with mushy peppers at the end.
- Use vegetable or chicken stock, and once you pour it in the pot, it will cover the rice. Adding too much stock will result in soupy rice.
EAT THE LEFTOVERS IN WRAPS
We almost never have any leftovers left, as we just devour the fajita rice in minutes. But when we do, we roll up the fajita rice in tortilla bread and enjoy it like that. Sooo good!
It’s also great for picnics, and packed lunches to take to work or on a road trip.
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS: 10 SMARTPOINTS PER PORTION ON WEIGHT WATCHERS FREESTYLE PLAN
MORE GREAT INSTANT POT RECIPES
Or check out my Instant Pot recipe collection!
If you make this recipe, please don’t forget to rate it and share a picture on social media. Tag #LittleSunnyKitchen in your posts as I would really love to see what you make! Thank you for supporting Little Sunny Kitchen, so I can keep sharing my family recipes with you for free.
Instant Pot Fajita Rice Bowls
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 chicken breasts cubed
- 1 red onion diced
- 3 bell peppers red, yellow and green - diced
- 1 tomato diced
- 2 cups long grain rice rinsed
- 6 tbsp fajita seasoning
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp sour cream optional
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese grated - optional
- Click on saute for 10 minutes, add the oil and let it heat up.
- Add the chicken, and brown it a little.
- Move the chicken to one side of the pot, then add the diced onion and bell peppers and cook them for a few minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes but do not cook them.
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear, then add it to the pot. Add the fajita seasoning with the stock and cover the pot with the lid.
- Make sure that the valve is set on sealing position. Click on manual or pressure cooking - choose high pressure and cook for 8 minutes.
- When the cooking is finished, carefully release the steam (QR). Open the lid, and stir in sour cream if using. You can also add some grated mozzarella cheese, if it's not melting right now, then just cover with the lid and let it stand for 1 minute. Give the rice a quick stir and serve.
- The nutritional facts are rough estimates and are calculated for the fajita rice without any sour cream, cheese or toppings.