Learn how to make perfect rice in the Instant Pot! This easy method works with all long-grain varieties including white basmati rice.
I always get asked what is the best way to cook rice in the Instant Pot, and since so many of my Instant Pot recipes are served with rice. I figured that it’s time to share my Instant Pot rice recipe with you, aka the best and easiest way to cook rice in the IP!
Cooking rice in the Instant Pot is so easy. In fact, that’s the only way my husband cooks rice now. I love the fact that with the Instant Pot, following the same method, I will end up with the same result every single time. So it’s consistent, and great especially if I’m cooking for a crowd!
So whether you’re an Instant Pot newbie, or a pro, you’re gonna love this!
Do I need to soak the rice before cooking it in the Instant Pot
The answer is yes! Soaking rice for at least 15 minutes (preferably 30) helps it absorb some water for better texture, it also helps you get rid of the starchiness that you don’t need as it can make the rice sticky.
So presoak the rice in cold/room temperature water, then drain and rinse.
How to cook basmati rice in the Instant Pot?
- As you have soaked the rice already, rinse under running water until it runs clear and it’s ready to go in the Instant Pot.
- Add 1 tsp of vegetable oil just to grease the bottom of the pot. This will prevent any rice from sticking to the bottom.
- Cover with water. The water needs to cover the rice, and be just half of inch above the top of the rice.
- Add a pinch of salt, quickly stir the rice.
- Cover with the lid.
- Press on MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK on high, and set the timer at 4 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to come to pressure (it will take about 10 minutes) and cook for 4 minutes, then naturally release the steam for 10 minutes.
- Release any remaining pressure then carefully open the lid, and fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
Can I cook this rice using broth or stock?
You sure can! Depending on what flavor you’re aiming for, you can add chicken stock just like I did in my Instant Pot whole chicken recipe. First, you can the chicken and the juices will stay at the bottom of the Instant Pot. And then you add rice to that chicken broth, and make tasty rice to serve with the chicken. It’s one of my most popular recipes on the blog for a reason!
Can I cook long grain brown rice in the Instant Pot?
Yes, brown rice is also very easy to make in the Instant Pot but it does take longer. Check out my Instant Pot brown rice recipe for details.
How to store cooked rice?
Cooked rice can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
What to serve Instant Pot rice with?
- Instant Pot honey sesame chicken
- Instant Pot beef and broccoli
- Instant Pot hibachi chicken
- Instant Pot shrimp and broccoli
- Instant Pot hibachi steak
I don’t feel like I say this often enough, or that I could ever thank you enough. But THANK YOU for all of your support, for visiting my blog, commenting, and sharing my recipes with your friends and family. I am SO thankful for you!
If you make this recipe or any of my recipes, then don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below. I would LOVE to hear about your experience and your comments just make my day!
I hope that you love every recipe that you make! – Diana x
Instant Pot Rice
- 2 cups basmati rice or any white long grain rice
- water to cover the rice by ½ inch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Presoak the rice cold water for 15-30 minutes. The longer the better. Then drain and rinse the rice.
- Add vegetable oil to the bottom of the pot, and spread it so it covers the pot very well.
- Add the rice, salt, followed by water. Add enough water to cover the rice by ½ inch.
- Stir everything together quickly, cover the pot with the lid.
- Press on MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK on high, and set at 4 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to come to pressure and cook for 4 minutes, then naturally release the steam for 10 minutes. Carefully open the lid, and fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
- The recommended portion of rice per person is 1/2-1/3 cup (90-60 grams). In our family we usually go for 1/3 cup per person.
- You can skip the oil, and add a piece of butter instead and mix it with the rice, water, and salt.