A fan of hibachi-style cooking? Then you’re going to love this hibachi chicken dinner, cooked in the Instant Pot quickly with very minimal effort!
Last month, we shared our Instant Pot hibachi steak recipe with you, and it went viral! So many people have made it, and loved it! Thanks to everyone who shared pictures, left feedback on the recipe and asked questions, we realized that it was a good idea to try a chicken version in the Instant Pot. A few days later, my husband came home with the ingredients needed and started testing the recipe.
I asked him, which one did he prefer? He said BOTH!
So whether you prefer chicken, beef, or shrimp, now we have all versions posted here for you.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE THIS INSTANT POT HIBACHI CHICKEN
- An Instant Pot. I have this Instant Pot, it’s my favorite!
- I love these stainless steel measuring cups and use them every time I cook, as well as those measuring spoons.
- Soy sauce, if you’re using a low sodium soy sauce then you might need to salt the chicken a little. For gluten-free, use tamari sauce instead.
- White vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Corn starch
- Sesame seeds
INSTANT POT HIBACHI CHICKEN RECIPE
It doesn’t matter if you’re an experienced chef, or still a beginner. You’re still going to really enjoy this! The flavors turn out just right, and everything is perfectly cooked.
Making this hibachi chicken in the Instant Pot is really easy. All you have to do is prep the veggies and cube the chicken, add the sauce ingredients along with the rest of the ingredients to the Instant Pot and let it cook the dinner for you!
Start by slicing the onion, the zucchini, and the mushrooms. Cube the chicken and mince the garlic.
As you do this, cook the rice so it’s ready at the same time as the hibachi chicken. Or make Instant Pot white rice (so easy and perfect every time!).
Add the sauce ingredients to the bottom of the pot, followed by the veggies and the chicken, and give everything a quick mix.
Cover with the lid, seal the vent and cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
Once the cooking is finished, quickly release the steam and carefully open the lid.
Thickening the sauce is optional, but I highly recommend it.
HOW TO THICKEN THE SAUCE?
I take the veggies out of the pot as they will become mushy if they’re cooked for longer. Then I add the slurry which is 1 tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon of water. Click on saute mode for a couple of minutes, and stir until the sauce is thickened. If it’s not thick enough, add more slurry and cook for 1 more minute. When you’re done, put the veggies back in to serve.
Serve over white rice, garnish with chopped parsley and sesame seeds.
IF YOU LIKE THE VEGGIES WITH A FIRMER TEXTURE…
Cooking the zucchini in the Instant Pot for 3 minutes will make them really tender as you can see in my pictures. When our readers made our hibachi steak, some loved it, and others commented on the veggies being mushy. If you don’t mind tender veggies, then cook everything together as instructed in the recipe card below. If you want the zucchinis a bit firmer, do not add the to the pot and steam them separately then mix them in with the rest of the ingredients after thickening the sauce.
Or just add in raw zucchini slices to the sauce as you’re thickening it, and it should work fine.
If you’ve been to a Japanese steakhouse before, you probably already know and love these sauces:
Join our private Instant Pot and Air Fryer Facebook group where we share exclusive recipes, and answer all of your IP and AF questions! We hope to see you there!
MORE GREAT INSTANT POT RECIPES
- Instant Pot spicy pepper shrimp
- Instant Pot chicken wings
- Instant Pot burrito bowl
- Instant Pot fajita rice
- Instant Pot steak fajitas
- Instant Pot chicken fajitas
- Or check out my Instant Pot recipe collection!
I don’t feel like I say this often enough, or that I could ever thank you enough. But THANK YOU for all of your support, for visiting my blog, commenting, and sharing my recipes with your friends and family. I am SO thankful for you!
If you make this recipe or any of my recipes, then don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below. I would LOVE to hear about your experience and your comments just make my day!
I hope that you love every recipe that you make! – Diana x
Instant Pot Hibachi Chicken
For the sauce:
- ½ cup soy sauce reduced sodium
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper or black pepper
For the chicken and vegetables:
- 1½ pounds (700 grams) chicken breast cubed
- 2 zucchinis sliced in rounds then halved
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 6 mushrooms sliced
- parsley chopped
- sesame seeds toasted
- Add the sauce ingredients to the Instant Pot. Soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, garlic, sugar, and white pepper.
- Then add cubed chicken pieces, onion, zucchini, mushrooms.
- Cover with the lid, make sure that the valve is in sealing position. Click on manual or pressure cook, and cook on high for 3 minutes. When the cooking is finished, quickly release the steam and carefully open the lid. (If the sauce is not thick enough, then remove the vegetables and add 1 tbsp of corn starch mixed with 1 tbsp of water, and cook on saute for 1 minute, then return the veggies after the sauce is thickened) Serve over rice and garnish with toasted sesame seeds and chopped parsley.