Instant Pot steak fajitas that are so tender, juicy and filled with incredible flavors!
Cooked till perfection in the IP in just 10 minutes, the meat turns out so delicious. And my favorite thing about this recipe? It’s a one-pot recipe, where you just throw everything in your IP and come back in 20 minutes or so to enjoy the fajitas!
So about 2 months ago I shared my Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas recipe on the blog, and so many of you LOVED it and asked me about making steak fajitas in the Instant Pot. So I figured that I need to share this recipe with you as well.
INSTANT POT STEAK FAJITAS
IP steak fajitas couldn’t be any easier! This recipe is perfect for a quick throw-together meal, it’s so delicious and so easy to make that you’ll find yourself making it over and over again!
The recipe requires very simple ingredients and does not require any expert cooking skills.
I almost never buy store-bought fajita spice mix, as it’s so easy to make, tastes much better when made at home and that also saves me a lot of money!
To find out how to make your own fajita seasoning, check out my Instant Pot Fajitas recipe (you’ll find the amounts in the recipe card so make sure that you keep scrolling down until you find it). The same spice mix can also be used for tacos and other chicken recipes, so you can make yourself a jar and keep it in your cupboard for when you need it.
THINGS YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE THE INSTANT POT STEAK FAJITAS
You need an Instant Pot. I have the Instant Pot Duo 6 Qt 7 in 1 and love it so much! I use it almost every day.
Kitchen tongs, for recipes like this I prefer stainless steel locking tongs.
A slotted spoon to take out the fajitas at the end to serve.
Corn or flour tortilla bread, I use this brand.
Fajita spice mix, either make your own or get a ready fajita spice mix (I like this Smoky BBQ mix).
Steak – sliced
Bell peppers – red, yellow and green
Onions – yellow or red
Beef broth or water
Salt (if necessary)
WHICH STEAK IS BEST FOR FAJITAS?
The best cuts to make fajitas are the rump, skirt or flank steak.
HOW TO MAKE STEAK FAJITAS IN THE INSTANT POT
Start by washing the bell peppers, slice them in long strips.
Peel and slice the onion.
Slice the beefsteak in long strips.
Add the spices and 1/2 cup of liquid (beef broth or water, whatever is available)
Give everything a quick mix, cover with the lid. Set the valve to “sealing” position.
Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Allow the Instant Pot come to pressure, then let it cook for 10 minutes. When it’s finished, it will beep. Click on “cancel” and do a quick release by switching the valve to “venting” position.
Open the lid, and either drain the extra liquid (and retain some) or use a slotted spoon to take out the fajitas.
Serve the fajitas stuffed in tortilla wraps, garnish with chopped cilantro and enjoy!
As for toppings, below I listed my favorites:
Guacamole, pico de gallo, sour cream, cheese, salsa, hot peppers, and parsley.
I MADE THESE FAJITAS AND GOT A BIT TOO MUCH LIQUID, IS THAT NORMAL?
That’s totally normal! For the Instant Pot to come to pressure, you need a little bit of liquid and the minimum recommended amount of liquid by the Instant Pot is 1/2 cup so that’s what we’re using in this recipe. Also, keep in mind that you’ll get more juices from the meat and veggies, so you’ll end up with a bit of liquid.
Simple drain the liquid after the IP is done the cooking (and retain some if you like), or just use a slotted spoon to take out the fajitas.
HERE’S WHY I LOVE MAKING FAJITAS IN MY INSTANT POT
- The beef turns out so juicy, tender and full of flavor!
- Making fajitas in the IP is much easier as I can just set the IP to cook and go do something else until it’s done. I don’t have to watch it!
- It’s a one pot recipe! No mess, no washing up! All I will have to wash is the IP pot.
INSTANT POT FAJITAS WITH FROZEN BEEF
You could also cook this recipe using frozen beef, the instructions will remain the same just set the cooking time to 12 minutes instead of 10.
CAN I MAKE THESE FAJITAS OVER THE STOVE?
In a bowl, toss the beef stips and the spices until the meat is well coated.
Heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a skillet over high heat, then add the vegetables and cook for 6-7 minutes or until soft. Remove from skillet.
Add the beef slices into the skillet, and cook until it’s cooked through (about 4-5 minutes). Add the vegetables back into the skillet and cook for one more minute. Serve in warmed tortillas.
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS: 8 SMARTPOINTS PER PORTION ON WEIGHT WATCHERS FREESTYLE PLAN
If you make this recipe, please don’t forget to rate it and share a picture on social media. Tag #LittleSunnyKitchen in your posts as I would really love to see what you make! Thank you for supporting Little Sunny Kitchen, so I can keep sharing my family recipes with you for free.
Instant Pot Steak Fajitas
- 1 pound (500 grams) Steak rump, skirt or flank sliced into long strips
- 3 Bell peppers (capsicums) red, green and yellow
- 1 Onion peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp Fajita spice mix
- 1/2 cup (250 ml) Beef or vegetable stock or water
- Salt to taste
- 4 Tortilla bread
- Start by washing the bell peppers, deseed and slice them in long strips. Peel and slice the onion. Slice the beefsteak in long strips. Add the spices and 1/2 cup of liquid (beef or vegetable stock or water, whatever is available)
- Give everything a quick mix, cover with the lid. Set the valve to "sealing" position. Choose manual - high pressure and set the timer on 10 minutes. The Instant Pot will beep and start.
- Allow the Instant Pot come to pressure, then let it cook for 10 minutes. When it's finished, it will beep again. Click on "cancel" and do a quick release by switching the valve to "venting" position.
- Open the lid, and either drain the extra liquid (and retain some) or use a slotted spoon to take out the fajitas.
- To serve, stuff warmed tortillas with the fajitas and garnish with chopped cilantro leaves and drizzle over with a little bit of the reserved sauce.