Easy 3-ingredient Mexican Instant Pot shredded chicken made in under half an hour! This shredded chicken is perfect for tacos, fajitas, quesadillas, taquitos, burritos, you name it!
So today I’m sharing my go-to shredded chicken recipe that I make ALL the time, especially on really busy days. You will love this recipe, because:
- You only need THREE ingredients (and water!)
- It’s a dump and start recipe!
- The chicken comes out so juicy and tastes incredible!
I also make this shredded chicken in the Crockpot, so if you’re a slow cooker fan than make sure to check it out!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chicken breast (I used 3 large ones for my recipe).
- Salsa, you can use either homemade or
store-boughtsalsa. Spicy or not, you decide!
- Fajita seasoning, or taco seasoning.
I recommend adding a little bit of vegetable oil to the bottom of the pot to avoid the chicken from sticking to the pot, and if you’re using chunky salsa then you’ll have to add a bit of water (about 1/2 cup).
How to Make Mexican Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
Probably the easiest Instant Pot chicken recipe that I ever made.
- Add a little bit of vegetable oil to the bottom of the pot, then add the chicken and season it with the fajita seasoning (or taco seasoning). Followed by the salsa. Depending on the salsa that you’re using, you might need to add water (I recommend adding 1/4-1/2 cup of water) to avoid getting a
- I also heard that the newer Instant Pot models show the burn message more often, so keep that in mind and decide whether you need to add water or not (to be safe, you can just add at least 1/4 of
- Give everything a mix so that the salsa goes underneath the chicken, then cover with the lid.
- Make sure that the vent is in sealing position, and press on “manual” or “pressure cook” (this depends on which IP model you’re using), choose high pressure and cook for 20 minutes. Allow the Instant Pot to come to pressure, then cook the chicken.
- Once it’s done, quickly release the steam and carefully open the lid.
Shred the chicken using 2 forks. You can either do this in the pot (like I did in the video), or take the chicken out and shred it on a board and then put it back in the sauce.
How to Use Mexican Style Shredded Chicken?
This Instant Pot shredded chicken is great in:
- Sliders and salads!
Recommended Tools for This Recipe
If you love easy 3-ingredient recipes, then you will love my creamy salsa chicken recipe!
While this recipe is easy to make, it always helps to watch a quick video. Give it a watch below!
Join our private Instant Pot and Air Fryer Facebook group where we share exclusive recipes, and answer all of your IP and AF questions! We hope to see you there!
More Mexican Instant Pot recipes
- Instant Pot creamy salsa chicken
- Instant pot chicken fajitas
- Instant Pot steak fajitas
- Instant Pot fajita rice
- Instant Pot burrito bowls
- Instant Pot Mexican corn
I don’t feel like I say this often enough, or that I could ever thank you enough. But THANK YOU for all of your support, for visiting my blog, commenting, and sharing my recipes with your friends and family. I am SO thankful for you!
If you make this recipe or any of my recipes, then don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below. I would LOVE to hear about your experience and your comments just make my day!
I hope that you love every recipe that you make! – Diana x
Mexican Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 large chicken breasts about 2 lbs
- 4 tablespoons fajita seasoning
- 1½ cups salsa enough to cover the chicken
- ½ cup water only if you're using chunky salsa or have a newer IP model
- Add the vegetable oil to the pot, and make sure that it's covering the bottom of the pot.
- Dump chicken, seasoning, salsa and water and give everything a mix to make sure that the sauce goes underneath the chicken.¼
- Cover with the lid, and make sure that the vent is in sealing position. Press on MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK on high heat and set at 20 minutes.
- When the cook is finished, quickly release the steam. Carefully open the lid, and using 2 forks shred the chicken (you can either do this inside of the pot, or outside the pot and then put the shredded chicken back into the sauce).