Easy 3-ingredient Mexican Instant Pot shredded chicken made in under half an hour! This shredded chicken is perfect for tacos, fajitas, quesadillas, taquitos, burritos, you name it!
Sooo today I’m sharing my go-to shredded chicken recipe that I make ALL the time, especially on really busy days. You will love this recipe, because:
- You only need THREE ingredients (and water!)
- It’s a dump and start recipe!
- The chicken comes out so juicy and tastes incredible!
Tools you will need to make this recipe
An Instant Pot. I have this Instant Pot, it’s my favorite!
Instant Pot shredded chicken ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need:
Chicken breast (I used 3 large ones for my recipe)
Salsa, you can use either homemade or
Fajita seasoning. Or taco seasoning.
I recommend adding a little bit of vegetable oil to the bottom of the pot to avoid the chicken from sticking to the pot, and if you’re using chunky salsa then you’ll have to add a bit of water (about 1/2 cup).
How to make Mexican Instant Pot shredded chicken
Probably the easiest Instant Pot chicken recipe that I ever made.
Add a little bit of vegetable oil to the bottom of the pot, then add the chicken and season it with the fajita seasoning (or taco seasoning). Followed by the salsa. Depending on the salsa that you’re using, you might need to add water (I recommend adding 1/4-1/2 cup of water) to avoid getting a
I also heard that the newer Instant Pot models show the burn message more often, so keep that in mind and decide whether you need to add water or not (to be safe, you can just add at least 1/4 of
Give everything a mix so that the salsa goes underneath the chicken, then cover with the lid.
Make sure that the vent is in sealing position, and click on “manual” or “pressure cook” (this depends on which IP model you’re using), choose high pressure and cook for 20 minutes. Allow the Instant Pot to come to pressure, then cook the chicken.
Once it’s done, quickly release the steam and carefully open the lid.
Shred the chicken using 2 forks. You can either do this in the pot (like I did in the video), or take the chicken out and shred it on a board and then put it back in the sauce.
How to use Mexican style shredded chicken?
This Instant Pot shredded chicken is great in:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS
There are 2 SmartPoints per portion on the WW freestyle plan.
More Mexican Instant Pot recipes
If you make this recipe, please don’t forget to rate it and share a picture on social media. Tag #LittleSunnyKitchen in your posts as I would really love to see what you make! Thank you for supporting Little Sunny Kitchen, so I can keep sharing my family recipes with you for free.
Mexican Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 3 large chicken breasts about 2 lbs
- 4 tbsp fajita seasoning
- 1 lbs salsa
- ½ cup water only if you're using chunky salsa or have a newer IP model
- Add the vegetable oil to the pot, and make sure that it's covering the bottom of the pot.
- Dump chicken, seasoning, salsa and water and give everything a mix to make sure that the sauce goes underneath the chicken.
- Cover with the lid, and make sure that the vent is in sealing position. Click on "manual" or "pressure cook" on high heat and set at 20 minutes.
- When the cook is finished, quickly release the steam. Carefully open the lid, and using 2 forks shred the chicken (you can either do this inside of the pot, or outside the pot and then put the shredded chicken back into the sauce).