Spicy Instant Pot shrimp cooked in just 0 minutes! This meal is so easy and quick to make, it’s bursting with flavors and one portion contains as little as 171 calories.
You guys LOVED my Instant Pot shrimp and broccoli recipe, and it quickly became the most popular recipe on this site! Which made me think that I need to come up with more great shrimp recipes that you can cook in your Instant Pots, so here’s my Instant Pot spicy shrimp recipe that I’ve been testing for the past 2 weeks now and I LOVE this final version. So I hope that you love it as much as I do.
The spices used in this recipe is what makes these shrimps so delicious. You can either use cajun or jerk seasoning, whatever you have on hand. And I honestly couldn’t decide which one did I like more, as both turned out just incredible!
The shrimps are cooked in a tasty spiced stock, with bell peppers, onion, and garlic. Serve with rice, quinoa, or noodles.
INSTANT POT SHRIMP
Cooking shrimps in the Instant Pot is so easy. As the shrimp normally cooks really quickly, I cook it in the Instant Pot for either 0 minutes or 1 minute (this depends on the veggies that I’m using) but that’s enough time to get perfectly cooked shrimp. When I say cook for 0 minutes, that’s enough time for frozen shrimp to be defrosted and cooked as the Instant Pot comes to pressure.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE THIS INSTANT POT SHRIMP
- An Instant Pot. I have this Instant Pot, it’s my favorite!
- I love these stainless steel measuring cups and use them every time I cook, as well as those measuring spoons.
- A wooden spoon
- Jumbo shrimp (frozen or fresh)
- Bell peppers
- Cajun seasoning (or jerk seasoning)
- Chili flakes (I use these Korean chili flakes and they’re amazing!)
- Olive oil, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Vegetable stock (I make my own in the Instant Pot, here’s the recipe)
HOW TO MAKE CAJUN SHRIMP IN THE INSTANT POT
- Start by adding olive oil to the bottom of the pot as it’s heated on SAUTE mode. Cook and stir using a wooden spoon until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for just 1 minute, or until it’s fragrant. Switch off the saute setting and be careful not to let the garlic get burnt.
- Add the frozen raw shrimp, and seasoning with cajun (or jerk) seasoning. Sprinkle with chili flakes if you like that extra spiciness and season with salt.
- Add in the diced bell peppers (sliced THICK!), I love color so I use green, yellow, and red.
- And finally, add the vegetable stock (I make mine in the Instant Pot!), give everything a quick mix and cover with the lid.
- Make sure that the vent is in sealing position, and press on “pressure cook” or “manual” and set for 0 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to come to pressure, then it will beep and stock cooking. Quickly release the steam, and carefully open the lid.
- Garnish with fresh thyme and serve with rice, quinoa or noodles.
CAN I USE FRESH SHRIMP INSTEAD OF FROZEN?
Yes, you can. And keep everything else the same! You will get less sauce though, and that’s fine as there will plenty of sauce anyway.
THE BELL PEPPERS WILL BE TENDER, BUT IF YOU LIKE THEM A BIT FIRMER THEN…
Simple cook them separately, and add them to the shrimp at the end!
Or, you could add them raw to the pot after the shrimp is cooked, cover with the lid and let the food stand with the lid covered for 5-10 minutes before serving.
If you want to thicken the sauce, you can. But I recommend removing the peppers so they don’t cook further, and add the slurry to the sauce (2 tbsp of corn starch mixed with 2 tbsp of water), set on saute and mix in the slurry. Keep stirring until the sauce thickens.
MORE GREAT INSTANT POT RECIPES
- Instant Pot shrimp and broccoli
- Instant Pot hibachi steak
- Instant Pot chicken wings
- Instant Pot burrito bowl
- Instant Pot fajita rice
- Instant Pot steak fajitas
- Or check out my Instant Pot recipe collection!
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS: 4 SMARTPOINTS PER 1 PORTION ON WEIGHT WATCHERS FREESTYLE PLAN.
If you make this recipe, please don’t forget to rate it and share a picture on social media. Tag #LittleSunnyKitchen in your posts as I would really love to see what you make! Thank you for supporting Little Sunny Kitchen, so I can keep sharing my family recipes with you for free.
Instant Pot Spicy Cajun Pepper Shrimp
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 14 oz 400 grams frozen raw shrimp
- 2 tbsp cajun seasoning
- ¼ tsp chili flakes if desired
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 small bell peppers diced (yellow, green, and red)
- ¼ cup vegetable stock or chicken stock
- fresh thyme to garnish
- On the Instant Pot, press on SAUTE and set for 10 minutes. Add olive oil to the pot, and saute the onion until it's soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Switch off the saute setting.
- Add the shrimp, season with cajun or jerk seasoning, add chili flakes if desired and season with salt.
- Add the mixed peppers and stock. Give everything a quick stir then cover the pot with the lid, and set the valve on sealing position. Press on PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL and set on 0 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to come to pressure, then it will beep which means that it finished cooking. Quickly release the steam, open the lid and give the shrimp a quick stir and serve with rice or noodles.