Super easy and quick vegan tomato soup! This soup is creamy, it’s silky smooth, and tastes incredible. Great for lunch, or as a side dish.
This tomato soup is vegan, gluten-free, low carb, keto, Paleo, and Whole30 compliant.
Tomato soup is one of the simplest soups that you can make! I make it very often in the summer, or when I find a good deal on a bag of fresh tomatoes. It makes a healthy and delicious lunch or a side, and everyone in my family loves it.
So last weekend I went to the farmer’s market, and they were selling large bags of fresh tomatoes. I asked if they were local, and the answer was yes these were grown in greenhouses. So I picked up a bag, and made a massive pot of tomato soup.
For a creamier version of this soup and loaded with more veg, check out my tomato bisque.
Tomato Soup Ingredients
This is a very simple soup, here’s what you need to make it:
- Tomatoes – fresh, do not used canned! In my opinion canned tomatoes ruin the taste and they’re not as healthy.
- Onion – I use yellow onion, but you can use red onion if that’s what you have.
- Vegetable stock.
- Flour, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
You could also add fresh or dried basil and/or oregano if you like.
How to make tomato soup?
- Heat oil in a pot (or use water if you’re avoiding oil). Add the diced onion, and cook until soft and translucent.
- Add the minced garlic, and cook for one minute or until it’s fragrant.
- Add the flour, and cook for a minute while stirring.
- Deglaze the pot with the veggie stock, and add the tomatoes. Cover and simmer until the tomatoes are tender.
- Turn off the heat, and using an immersion blender blend the soup until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to your preference.
Sometimes I add dried herbs such as basil and oregano to my soup along with the vegetable stock. You could also add chopped fresh herbs if you like.
What’s the best way to blend tomato soup?
You can either do it by using an immersion blender, or using a Vitamix blender. I personally find it easier and quicker to use an immersion blender, but if you’re worried that the tomato soup might splatter during the process then use your Vitamix instead!
How to make this tomato soup extra creamy?
Either use soy heavy cream, and stir it in. Or make homemade cashew cream and stir it in.
To make vegan cashew cream, just soak 1/2 cup of cashews for a couple of hours then blender them with 1/2 cup of water until smooth.
How to make homemade garlic croutons?
I usually make easy homemade croutons to go with tomato soup. Using stale bread, tear into pieces and spread on a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil, and season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Bake in the oven at 200c (392f) for a few minutes or until they’re golden and crispy but not burnt.
More vegan soup recipes
- Roasted rutabaga soup
- Slow cooker butternut squash soup
- Beet Borscht soup
- Vegan potato soup
- Roasted butternut squash soup
- Russian Borscht soup
- Pasta fagioli Italian soup
If you make this recipe, please don’t forget to rate it and share a picture on social media. Tag #LittleSunnyKitchen in your posts as I would really love to see what you make!
Thank you for supporting Little Sunny Kitchen, so I can keep sharing my family recipes with you for free.
Vegan Tomato Soup
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 6 tomatoes fresh and diced
- 2 cups 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- salt and pepper
- In a medium pot heat oil, and sauté onion until soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook until it's fragrant for about 1 minute.
- Add flour, and cook for 1 more minute while stirring.
- Add the tomatoes, and the vegetable stock. Simmer on medium heat for about 10-15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm with croutons.