Here’s the recipe for the best bang bang sauce that you can use with chicken, shrimp, and even vegetables. It’s so simple and quick to make, and made with ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen.
What is bang bang sauce?
Bang bang sauce is a creamy sauce perfect when paired with crispy fried shrimp, chicken, or fish. It can also be used as a dip with appetizers, and snacks.
If you’ve been to Bonefish Grill, then you most probably had their bang bang shrimp. This is a copycat recipe as I tried to nail it and I think that I did a great job! This sauce is DELICIOUS!
So all you need to make this awesome sauce is just 5 minutes of your time, a mixing bowl, a whisk, and a few ingredients!
How to make bang bang sauce
What you’ll need:
- Mayonnaise. Use any type of mayonnaise that you like, vegan mayo, low-fat mayo, any type really! They all work.
- Sriracha or hot sauce. I use whichever I have available, my favorite is Thai sriracha but Frank’s hot sauce also works great.
- Sweet chili sauce.
- Honey or maple syrup – optional.
- Fresh lime juice – optional.
To make the sauce:
Measure out all of the ingredients and combine them in a mixing bowl. Whisk until everything is well combined, store in a jar.
Depending on the type of the mayonnaise that you’re using, you may need to thin your sauce out a bit with water (I didn’t have to!). But in case if you do, then add water by very small quantities like 1 tablespoon of water, and whisk until you reach the desired consistency.
The consistency should not be too watery, nor too thick. So be careful not to end up with too much water added to the sauce.
If you’re watching your calorie intake, then substituting mayonnaise with Greek yogurt is a greek idea! It will still turn out creamy, and smooth, but remember that you can only store it in the fridge for up to 1 week.
I store bang bang sauce in a sealed glass jar in the fridge for up to 1 month.
The jar that you see in my picture below is a Weck jar. I use for storing sauces, spices, seeds, and more! They’re so handy and quite cute
And make sure to check out my condiments category page for more sauces, seasonings, and other basics.
More Homemade Sauce Recipes
- Easy ginger sauce – that you find at hibachi restaurants!
- Yum yum sauce – another hibachi restaurant classic.
- Homemade sweet and sour sauce (so easy and made with a few pantry ingredients!)
I don’t feel like I say this often enough, or that I could ever thank you enough. But THANK YOU for all of your support, for visiting my blog, commenting, and sharing my recipes with your friends and family. I am SO thankful for you!
If you make this recipe or any of my recipes, then don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below. I would LOVE to hear about your experience and your comments just make my day!
I hope that you love every recipe that you make! – Diana x
Bang bang sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sriracha or hot sauce
- ¼ cup sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl, whisk until well combined.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 10 days.
- The calculated nutrition values are a rough estimate.
- Store in a sealed glass jar in the fridge for up to 1 month.
- You can substitute the mayonnaise with Greek yogurt if you prefer.