This is the best simple tossed green salad that goes so well with any meal! Fresh dressed greens with a simple lemon or apple cider vinaigrette, it will take you just a few minutes to make!
Everyone has a simple salad that they make all the time, and here’s MY tossed green salad recipe that I LOVE and serve with most of my meals! It’s so simple, light, fresh, and requires just a few ingredients to make.
It’s also a great way to eat my greens everyday, it’s very versatile and I make it based on what ingredients I have available. But I usually dress it with fresh lemon juice, apple cider vinaigrette that I whip up in just a minute, or this vibrant raspberry vinaigrette.
Simple Side Salad Ingredients
This is a very versatile recipe, and can be made depending on what ingredients you have available. So I will provide you with my basic recipe, and give you more ideas on what else can you add to it.
- Fresh greens: I usually buy bags of pre-washed fresh greens such as arugula, different types of lettuce, spinach, watercress, etc.
- Red onions: I love adding crunchy red onions to my salad for a great flavor and texture. Feel free to leave them out if you don’t love red onions, and if you don’t have any, substitute with sliced shallots or sliced yellow onions.
- Dressing: You can do with a simple dressing of just extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. But I like more flavor and usually make this apple cider vinaigrette.
- Optional: Add your favorite toppings! Tossed nuts, seeds, or shaved parmesan. You can also add your favorite sliced or shredded vegetables such cucumber, carrot, or bell peppers.
Simple Salad Dressing Ingredients
- Olive oil – I like to use high-quality Italian extra virgin olive oil.
- Acid – Use any acid that you like, I usually go for fresh lemon or orange juice or apple cider vinegar.
- Dijon mustard – Adds a lovely flavor to the dressing, but it doesn’t overpower the salad.
- Garlic – Use fresh garlic cloves to complement the leafy greens! Mince, crush, or grate the garlic cloves.
- Honey or maple syrup – To balance the flavors of the dressing. Go for honey, maple syrup, or agave syrup.
- Salt & pepper – to taste.
Optional Salad Add-ons
- Add your favorite cheese – I often toss my salad with shaved parmesan, but other cheeses like feta are also great! My favorite salads with feta are this refreshing watermelon salad, and this Mediterranean chickpea salad.
- Extra vegetables – Extra veg is always a great idea! Add fresh sliced or diced vegetables, or grilled vegetables to this salad.
- Your favorite protein – Add your protein of choice, go for shredded chicken, pan fried salmon, poached shrimp, or beans. Or give this salad a Mediterranean twist, and add cooked garbanzo beans.
- Love olives? – Olives add a great salty flavor and texture to the salt.
- Dried fruit – Cranberries are popular in salads. I always add them to this kale salad as they add texture, sweetness and flavor.
- Seeds and nuts – My favorites are pepitas, sunflower seeds, pecans, walnuts, and almonds.
For The Dressing:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
For The Salad:
- ½ red onion sliced
- 6 cups fresh salad mix/greens loosely packed
- In a jar combine the vinaigrette ingredients, seal, and shake until well combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the salad greens with sliced onion, and toss gently to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss again.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
© Little Sunny Kitchen