A classic Wedge Salad topped with creamy blue cheese dressing, bacon, and more is truly the king of all the salads made with Iceberg lettuce. Learn how easy this refreshing salad is to make!
I love ordering a Wedge salad at a steakhouse or a fancy restaurant. I think that it’s something of a challenge for the chef, to turn plain iceberg lettuce into a delicious masterpiece. I’m never disappointed!
It’s easy to make the same restaurant-style Wedge salad at home, with just a few common ingredients. This recipe for wedge salad is ready to serve in less than 20 minutes and is easy enough for anyone to make.
Looking for another easy side salad? Try my copycat Olive Garden salad next, or make a classic Waldorf Salad!
Ingredients In Wedge Salad
These are the classic ingredients. Feel free to make adjustments!
Complete list of ingredients and amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Iceberg Lettuce: To make eight servings, one small head of lettuce is perfect.
- Blue Cheese Dressing: Buy store-bought creamy blue cheese dressing, or try my easy recipe and make your own.
- Tomatoes: Cherry tomatoes add beautiful color to this salad and a bit of tangy sweetness.
- Red onion: This is my favorite ingredient in wedge salad. Diced red onion has the perfect amount of bite to complement the blue cheese.
- Bacon: Cook the bacon ahead of time until it’s crispy and then crumble it into small pieces.
- Blue Cheese: Not only will we add blue cheese dressing, but more blue cheese crumbles right on top! Buy your favorite blue cheese in a wedge or block, and crumble it yourself for the best flavor.
How To Make a Wedge Salad
- Prep the Lettuce: Remove the outer leaves from the head of iceberg, wash, dry, and cut the head into 4 wedges, making sure to remove the stem.
- Assemble: Plate the salad wedges, then top with blue cheese dressing, cherry tomatoes, diced red onion, crispy bacon, and crumbled blue cheese.
Serve iceberg wedge salad immediately, or chill it in the fridge for an hour or so while you make the rest of your dinner!
- Add Texture. Crispy Fried Onions, Homemade Croutons, or toasted nuts can be added for a delicious crunch.
- Adjust the size of the wedges. Carefully cut the wedges in half again to make the portions smaller for easier serving.
- Try a vinaigrette. Often a wedge salad is served with blue cheese dressing and a light drizzle of balsamic or red wine vinaigrette.
Salads with dressing on them are generally best when enjoyed right away. If you want to make this salad ahead of time, simply prep all of the ingredients and store them separately in the fridge. When you’re ready to serve the wedge salad, add the toppings and dressings.
What To Serve With Wedge Salad
Steak: A wedge salad is a classic steakhouse side dish, and the simple flavors are delicious with a juicy Grilled Steak. You can also make steak in the air fryer!
Buffalo Chicken: The blue cheese in this recipe makes it a great match for Buffalo-style meals such as Buffalo Chicken Pizza or Buffalo Chicken Wings.
The wedge salad gets its name from the shape created when you slice into a round head of iceberg lettuce, but if you aren’t hung up on the shape, you can make this salad using any kind of lettuce! Romaine hearts cut in half or quarters work wonderfully.
Sure! Chop the lettuce up into small pieces rather than wedges if you’d like.
Creamy blue cheese dressing is the classic flavor, but another creamy dressing, such as Ranch could also work well.
You are going to want to keep this easy wedge salad recipe handy! Pin in for the next time you need an easy and impressive side dish.
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest!
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup blue cheese dressing homemade or store bought
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- ½ red onion diced
- 6 slices bacon cooked, cooled, and crumbled
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- Remove the outer leaves of the head of iceberg lettuce. Wash, dry, and cut the lettuce into 4 wedges, removing the stem.
- Plate the salad wedges, then top with blue cheese dressing, cherry tomatoes, diced red onion, crispy bacon, and crumbled blue cheese.
- Serve immediately, or refridgerate for up to an hour to serve chilled.
- Make homemade blue cheese dressing using my easy recipe! Store-bought dressing will work too.
- Add other ingredients. The ingredients here are the classics, but you can dress this salad up with a drizzle of red wine viniagrette, crunchy croutons, or your favorite fresh veggies.
- To make smaller wedges, carefully cut each quarter of the iceberg in half.
- To store: Keep the prepared salad in the refrigerator for up to an hour before serving. You can prep ahead by getting all the ingredients ready, and then assembling just before serving.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
© Little Sunny Kitchen
Leave a Review!