Kale chips are a tasty, crispy snack that can be eaten on its own or dipped in various sauces. These air fryer kale chips are quick and easy to make with minimal clean up! This recipe is perfect for anyone who wants to eat healthy or just wants an easy snack.
When I first heard of kale chips, I could not understand what all the hype was about. I love potato chips, but kale chips? I had to give that a try, and boy I’m glad that I did! I was expecting the kale chips to be soggy, but they come out crispy and crunchy. They are actually delicious, and to be honest they are also much healthier than potato chips.
Kale is a superfood that has many benefits for your body, including being high in fiber which helps with digestion. This air fryer recipe only requires three ingredients: Kale leaves (stem removed), some type of oil, and salt.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Quick Snack. This air fryer recipe is easy and quick, and takes just 10 minutes to make. You can make a large batch for yourself or to share with friends!
- Crispy Kale Chips? Yes please! Air frying the kale chips makes them crispy, but not greasy like other fried snacks.
- Healthy Snack. This air fryer recipe only requires a few ingredients and is a great snack for people with dietary restrictions. They’re vegan, gluten-free, egg-free, and dairy-free.
- Less Cleanup! You do not have to use a ton of dishes or utensils, air frying only requires the air fryer basket and kitchen tongs.
Ingredients In Recipe
You only need 3 simple ingredients to make this delicious snack!
Complete list of ingredients and amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Kale. I used one large bunch of fresh kale, you can go for regular kale or Tuscan kale (Cavolo Nero).
- Oil. You need a little bit of oil for air frying to get the chips crispy. You can use any oil that you like since we won’t be cooking for it for too long, I love olive oil because of the flavor that it gives.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Just to season the kale!
I always get asked what Air Fryer do I use and recommend, and my favorite Air Fryer that I use all the time is this Cosori Air Fryer. It’s a great Air Fryer that comes with a large square basket which means that you can fit a lot of food. I also love the sleek design, it comes with preheat and keep warm options, and it’s dishwasher safe. If you’re looking to buy an Air Fryer, this is the best option in my opinion!
How To Make Kale Chips
- Wash and dry your kale leaves. Remove the tough centers of the stem, then tear the leaves into smaller pieces that will fit in the air fryer basket (about one inch pieces). Add to a large bowl.
- Toss with oil and seasonings of choice. I used salt and pepper to taste but feel free to add any spices you like! I also have included some suggestions below.
- Air Fry. Place the seasoned kale in your air fryer basket. Set air fryer temperature to 375°F/190°C and set timer for 4 minutes, air fry until crispy! Shake the basket or stir after two minutes to help the kale chips cook evenly.
Remember that all Air Fryers are different so make sure to keep a close eye on the whole process in case your air fryer cooks faster, and the kale chips are crisped up very quickly.
Tips For Making The Best Kale Chips
- Make sure to air dry your kale leaves before cooking! You can do this by leaving the washed and torn pieces of kale out on a towel for about an hour, or for a quicker solution use a salad spinner!
- Your air fryer basket must be dry before cooking. If there are any wet spots, the air frying process could be affected and your kale chips may not turn out crispy.
- If air frying a large batch of kale leaves, you may have to cook it in multiple batches.
- If you like your air fryer kale chips more crispy, simply cook for a little bit longer! Remember that all air fryers are different and may not need as much time as mine does.
- Use an air fryer basket liner for easy clean up! I buy mine from Amazon, and use them for most of the air frying that I do.
- If you notice that the kale chips start flying around in the air fryer basket, just place an air fryer trivet on top of them to hold them in place.
Before storing, make sure that the kale chips are cooled completely. Store them in an airtight container for up to 2-3 days.
You have to make sure that your dry the kale chips very well before placing them in your air fryer, a salad spinner works great for this! Otherwise, your kale chips can end up being soggy.
To get the best out of kale, consume it raw. Make a salad or use in a smoothie. Air fried kale is still healthy as it contains many vitamins, and minerals. Kale is just healthier when consumed raw.
Air fryer kale chips will stay crispy for 2-3 days if stored in an airtight container, but after that, they can soften and get soggy. Place air fryer kale chips on paper towels to dry off any excess oil before storing.
What To Serve With
Top with Parmesan cheese or other seasonings of choice before or after cooking if you like a little extra flavor! Try my delicious french fry seasoning, homemade ranch seasoning, fajita seasoning, or taco seasoning.
For a fun platter, serve these chips with other dips and snacks. Try my air fryer sweet potato fries dipped in French Fry Sauce. Air Fryer Shrimp served with Cocktail Sauce, add to that my favorite Sausage Dip or Cheesy Crab Dip.
I hope you give these kale chips a try, and that they turn out just the way you like them! Happy air frying!
- 6 cups kale leaves
- 1 teaspoon oil I like to use olive oil
- Sea salt flakes
- Remove the tough centers of the stem, then break into smaller pieces that will fit in the air fryer basket (about one inch pieces).
- Toss with oil and seasonings of choice. Make sure that the leaves are lightly but well coated in oil.
- Place the seasoned kale in your air fryer basket. Set air fryer temperature to 375°F/190°C and set timer for 4 minutes, air fry until crispy. Shake or stir after two minutes to help the kale chips cook evenly.
- Make sure to air dry your kale leaves before cooking. You can do this by leaving the washed and torn pieces of kale out on a towel for about an hour, or for a quicker solution use a salad spinner.
- Before storing, make sure that the kale chips are cooled completely. Store them in an airtight container for up to 2-3 days.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
© Little Sunny Kitchen