Simple and delicious fry sauce recipe that you can whip up in just 5 minutes! It’s creamy, sweet, tangy, and a little spicy. The perfect sauce to serve with fries, onion rings, burgers, and even wraps!
As much as I love eating out, I also really enjoy recreating my favorite foods and meals at home. I learned how to make perfectly crispy fries, and I shared my French fries recipe with you. I also make the best ever French fry seasoning that is so simple and you can make it in just 5 minutes.
And today I’m sharing with you my favorite fry sauce, because I love dipping and it’s much better than plain mayo or ketchup.
What is Fry Sauce?
Known as Utah’s favorite condiment, fry sauce is mostly well known in Utah and Idaho (since it’s the potato capital of America). No one really knows where it originated, some say it originated in Salt Lake City but you can read about all fry sauce history here. In Idaho, if you go to a fast food restaurant and order fries, you’ll most likely get asked if you want to add fry sauce to that. It’s also sold in bottles in the supermarkets.
While fry sauce is popular in the United States, it’s not just an American thing. In Puerto Rico, there’s a loved version called mayoketchup which is basically a combination of ketchup and mayo. In France, a similar sauce called sauce cocktail is served at Turkish kebab shops.
Fry sauce is a combination of creamy mayo mixed with ketchup and seasoned with other seasonings. It’s sweet, tangy, has a pink color and it’s absolutely amazing. It has the same complexion as yum yum sauce or thousand island dressing, but the ingredient list is simpler.
But the good news is that you don’t have to make it to Utah or Idaho to get the best fry sauce, because I have the perfect recipe for you!
Ingredients In Fry Sauce
Here’s what you’ll need to make this delicious sauce:
- Mayonnaise – My favorite base for any creamy sauce. Try my 5-minute homemade mayonnaise, it’s so easy to make and tastes much better than the store-bought stuff!
- Ketchup – This is mainly where the pink color of the sauce comes from, it also adds sweetness and flavor.
- Worcestershire Sauce – This savory sauce adds tons of flavor and a bit of tang to the mix.
- Vinegar – A little bit more tang is added with vinegar. You can use distilled vinegar or apple cider vinegar here. If you have pickle brine or juice, then use that instead.
- Garlic Powder – Big, sweet, garlic flavor comes from this powdered garlic. Do not substitute with fresh garlic.
- Smoked paprika – This is probably my favorite spice, it’s totally optional but adds SO much flavor!
- Salt – To season the sauce. Add more or less to your own taste.
- Optional: To add more flavor to the sauce, you can mix in some chopped capers, a touch of honey, ground black pepper, or a little bit of mustard. If you love heat, add a dash of hot sauce or a pinch of cayenne.
Complete list of ingredients and amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
How to Make The Best Ever Fry Sauce
This fry dipping sauce is very simple as it really only has one step: Mix everything together until well combined!
- To make your sauce, whisk together mayo, ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika, and salt in a small bowl until well combined.
- Serve with your favorite type of fries.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
If you have time, cover and chill the sauce in the fridge for about 30 minutes before serving, this will allow the flavors to set.
What To Serve With
This delicious sauce can be paired with pretty much everything but my favorite way is to serve it with fries! Pair it with classic deep fried French fries, oven baked fries, sweet potato fries, zucchini fries, or rutabaga fries for a low-carb option.
Great on burgers. Try my Air Fryer hamburgers, Instant Pot hamburgers, or a delicious chicken burger.
Chicken, obviously! I love serving this fry sauce with buttermilk crispy tenders, or healthier oven baked chicken tenders.
Whether you choose to dress up your plate of French fries with this delicious sauce, or serve it with fried chicken, I know you will love it! Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest!
Fry Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Whisk together mayo, ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and salt in a bowl until well combined.
- Serve with your favorite type of fries.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
© Little Sunny Kitchen
Leave a Review!