Super creamy vegan cream cheese made with cashews, and just a few other natural ingredients! Easy, made in 5 minutes, nutritious, and delicious!
I find it weird when people start comparing vegan and non-vegan foods, and go like “this is not the same”. Of course, it’s not the same! You can’t expect chickpea or tofu fajitas to taste like chicken fajitas. Simply, because we’re using different ingredients here.
The same goes with this vegan cream cheese, it isn’t a full-fat dairy cream cheese. But let me tell you something, it’s healthy, cholesterol-free, fat-free, super creamy, and tastes better than dairy cream cheese.
I’m not going to tell you that you won’t taste the difference, because you will. But in my opinion, this cashew cream cheese is AMAZING!
Spread it over toast, or bagels, and enjoy it for a quick snack or light lunch. This recipe is so versatile, and you can change the flavorings based on your preference.
How to Make Cashew Cream Cheese
- Cashews – use unroasted unsalted cashews, soak them in water at room temperature for at least 4 hours and up to 48 hours but keep changing the water if you soak them for long.
- Nutritional yeast – to add a cheesy flavor!
- Lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Italian seasoning – optional but makes a huge difference to the flavor!
Collect all of the ingredients, and put them in a food processor or a blender. I prefer using a food processor as the blade is removable and it’s easier to clean. If you don’t have one, just use a blender.
Blend until smooth, and stop to scrape the sides as needed so that everything is well blended. Add water by very small amounts until you reach the desired consistency.
The longer you blend for, the creamier the cream cheese will be.
Taste the cream cheese, and see if you need to adjust the seasonings.
Chive and onion cream cheese – omit the Italian seasoning, and add 1 teaspoon of onion powder and 2 tablespoons of chopped chives. Blend until smooth.
Super creamy plain cream cheese – add 2 tablespoons of non-dairy yogurt instead of water. Omit all of the other flavorings.
Spicy cream cheese – omit the Italian seasoning and garlic, add 1 tablespoon of hot sauce, 1 teaspoon of sugar, ¼ teaspoon of paprika.
Can I Use This Vegan Cream Cheese to Make Vegan Cheesecake?
No, it doesn’t work well in cheesecakes or baking. I recommend getting store-bought cream cheese for baking.
How to Soak Cashews
I normally soak cashews in a large bowl with water at room temperature, for at least 4 hours. If I’m running out of time, then I boil water and cover the cashews with hot water for at least 1 hour.
If your plans change, and you’re unable to make the cream cheese on the same or next day from soaking the cashews. That’s okay. Just keep changing the water and leave them out at room temperature for up to 48 hours.
More vegan spreads
I don’t feel like I say this often enough, or that I could ever thank you enough. But THANK YOU for all of your support, for visiting my blog, commenting, and sharing my recipes with your friends and family. I am SO thankful for you!
If you make this recipe or any of my recipes, then don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below. I would LOVE to hear about your experience and your comments just make my day!
I hope that you love every recipe that you make! – Diana x
Vegan Cream Cheese
- 1½ cups (170 grams) cashews dried unroasted unsalted
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water or plant-based milk see note 1
- Soak the cashews in water for at least 4 hours, then rinse and drain them.
- Add the cashews and the flavorings to a food processor.
- Blend until smooth, and stop to scrape the sides as needed so that everything is well blended. Add cashew milk or water by very small amounts until you reach the desired consistency.
- Taste the cream cheese, and see if you need to adjust the seasonings.
- The longer you soak the cashews, the creamier your cream cheese will be.