A creamy coconut vegan korma that can be ready in under half an hour…
I love a homemade creamy coconut korma, it’s a healthy form of comfort food for me. I usually make it in a big batch to last a few days and serve it with white rice, quinoa or mashed potatoes. So whether you follow a vegan diet, or just want to have a meat-free day then you’re going to love this vegan korma recipe.
This recipe is also frugal as it’s made with cheap ingredients, and spices that you probably already have especially if you’re into Indian cooking. This korma is high in protein, it’s healthy, delicious and filling.
Looking for a chicken korma recipe instead?
Easy Vegan Korma Recipe
A really good coconut korma must be made from scratch, and you will be surprised at how easy is this vegan korma to make. It always turns out much better than the ready-made korma that you buy in the stores.
This simple vegan korma recipe will be a game-changer, once you try it you will never buy ready korma from the store again. And the best part? It only takes half an hour to make from start to finish! If you’re into meal planning, then you will love this as you can make a big batch just like I do and cook enough of it for a few days. It also freezes very well.
What I love about this korma sauce is that it’s very flavourful. It’s made with a mix of spice and flavours that go so well together. It uses garlic, ginger, onion, lemon juice, curry powder, garam masala, fennel, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cardamom and chili flakes. All of these spices are full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
This vegan korma goes very well with white or brown rice, mashed potatoes, quinoa, or homemade naan bread. With a splash of lime juice, sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley leaves, and enjoy!
This dish is naturally gluten-free (if you don’t serve it with naan bread that contains gluten), and it’s perfect for a quick and delicious Indian dinner. If you’re looking for more great vegan dinner recipes, try this Vegan Shepherds Pie. I’m sure that you will love it!
After eating dinner, I usually like to have a light dessert and my favourite dessert to have after this korma is this Indian vegan Custard Apple Cream. Ever heard of a custard apple before? Check out the recipe to find out more!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest!
Coconut Vegan Korma
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or ghee
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 14-ounce (400g) diced tomatoes or passata
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon fennel
- ½ teaspoon milk chili powder
- 1 14-ounce (400ml) can creamy coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice optional
- 1 14-ounce (400g) can butter beans drained and rinsed
- Fresh cilantro or parsley chopped
- Naan or basmati rice for serving
- Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until soft and translucent, followed by the garlic and the ginger.
- Add diced tomatoes and all the spices, and cook for a couple of minutes until the mixture is fragrant.
- Add coconut milk, lemon juice, and a cup of water and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat, and blend the curry until smooth. Return to heat, add butter beans, and cook for 1 more minute.
- Serve with basmati rice or naan bread, garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
© Little Sunny Kitchen
Leave a Review!