Freshly made ground chicken burgers are a flavorful alternative to the typical beef burgers and they are so much more delicious when you make them from scratch!
Hamburgers are a delicious grilled meal, but sometimes you need to change things up a bit. Ground Chicken Burgers are the perfect way to do that!
This chicken burger patties recipe is so simple to make. Simply mix everything up in a bowl and then grill the patties to perfection. You will be enjoying a thick, juicy, and flavorful ground chicken burger in less than 30 minutes.
If you don’t have an outdoor grill, you can totally cook these on the stove too! Using a grill pan is ideal, and will give you beautiful grill marks, but a flat skillet can cook up delicious burgers too.
Check out how I make the juiciest air fryer hamburgers, Juicy Lucy burgers, and hamburgers in the Instant Pot!
For a different type of chicken sandwich, get my recipe for Chicken Pesto Sandwiches on focaccia.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Homemade Chicken Burgers – Frozen chicken burgers can’t even come close to the taste and texture of homemade ones. You’ll be so happy you decided to make these easy chicken patties.
- A Healthy Burger – Ground chicken is lower in fat than hamburger, but just as delicious when done right.
- Versatile Recipe – You can adjust this recipe with different seasonings to switch things up if you like. You might not need to though, these chicken burgers are the tastiest!
Ingredients In this Chicken Burger Patties Recipe
Here’s what you need to make these juicy chicken burgers:
Complete list of ingredients and amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Ground Chicken: This recipe uses a pound of ground chicken to make 4 large burgers or six smaller ones. Feel free to double or triple the recipe to feed a larger crowd.
- Garlic: Minced garlic adds tons of savory flavor to these burgers. I suggest mincing fresh garlic for best results but jarred minced garlic is a handy shortcut.
- Breadcrumbs: These help bind the mixture together, and absorb moisture from the meat. Regular, unseasoned breadcrumbs are perfect.
- Mayonnaise and Dijon Mustard: Some chicken burger recipes call for eggs, but not this one. A combination of mayo and mustard adds the same amount of moisture and binding powder, plus lots of flavor.
- Seasonings: Fresh chopped parsley, dried oregano, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper are the perfect seasonings to add to chicken burgers.
- Toppings: Optionally (but preferably) you’ll want to have hamburger buns, sliced cheese, lettuce, tomato, sliced red onion, and mayo available to build the perfect chicken burger.
How To Make Ground Chicken Burgers
- Make Chicken Burger Patties: In a large bowl, combine the chicken with dijon mustard, mayonnaise, garlic, and seasonings. Use your hands to combine everything really well. Divide the mixture into 4 or 6 portions and shape it into patties.
- Grill: Preheat the grill to medium heat and clean and oil the grill grates. Cook ground chicken burgers for about 10 minutes on each side until the internal temperature of the patties is 165°F/74°C. If you’d like to add cheese, place a slice on each patty after they are fully cooked. Close the grill lid and allow the cheese to melt slightly.
- Assemble: Remove the chicken burgers from the grill and add to burger buns. Top with your desired toppings before serving.
These ground chicken burger patties can be cooked in a grill pan or skillet on the stove too. Preheat the pan and add a little bit of vegetable oil before cooking.
- Oil the Grill: Chicken burgers don’t have as much fat in them as beef burgers, so they will stick to the grill without some extra oil. Brush vegetable oil onto clean grill grates before adding the burgers. You can also brush oil directly onto both sides of the chicken patties.
- Watch as they cook: Depending on how many patties you make and how thin or thick they are, you may need more or less time to cook your burgers. Use a meat thermometer to be sure that your chicken burgers reach an internal temperature of 165°F/74°C, and remove them when they do.
Store cooked ground chicken patties in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. They are easy to reheat in the microwave, air fryer, or skillet.
You can freeze raw ground chicken patties so that they are ready to cook when you’re ready to eat them! I suggest freezing them individually on a sheet tray, then removing and storing them in a freezer bag for up to 2 months.
Thaw ground chicken burgers in the refrigerator overnight or cook them from frozen.
What To Serve With Homemade Chicken Burgers
Chicken Burgers are perfect for a casual dinner or outdoor party! Serve them with your favorite summer salads, like my classic Carrot Raisin Salad, Red Potato Salad, or Coleslaw.
Homemade French Fries, Baked Potato Wedges, or Oven Baked Fries are the perfect burger side dish too. Whip up a batch of Chick Fil A Sauce or Fry Sauce for dipping.
You might enjoy creamy no-bake Strawberry Pie or some Oreo Cheesecake for dessert!
Of course! The ingredients in this chicken burger recipe work well with lean ground turkey as well.
I find that this recipe works best with regular breadcrumbs, but if you have panko on hand, you can use them. The texture is a bit different but still delicious!
My recipe for ground chicken burgers is egg-free. I have tried making them with an egg added in, but I wasn’t thrilled with the texture. Follow this recipe as written to make the best chicken burger patties.
Don’t buy frozen chicken burgers! Homemade ground chicken burgers are so simple to make, and you’ll love how delicious they are. Be sure to Pin the recipe to save it for later.
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest!
Ground Chicken Burgers
- 1 pound (454g) ground chicken
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley lightly packed, chopped
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
For Serving (optional)
- 4 burger buns
- 1 large tomato sliced
- 1 red onion sliced
- sliced cheese
- In a large bowl, combine chicken with garlic, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, parsley, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and oregano. Use your hands to combine well.
- Divide the mixture into 4 or 6 portions, and shape into patties.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat (around 350°F/180°C). Clean and oil the grill grates, if using a grill pan then add a little vegetable oil. Cook for about 10 minutes on both sides until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165°F/74°C.
- If you'd like to add cheese, place a slice on each patty after they are fully cooked. Close the grill lid and allow the cheese to melt slightly.
- Remove from the grill and assemble the burgers.
- This recipe will make 4 quarter-pound chicken burgers, or 6 smaller ones.
- If you don’t have a grill, or maybe the weather isn’t right for grilling, use a grill pan to make these burgers on your stovetop. Be sure to add some oil to the pan before pre-heating it.
- It’s important to oil the grates of the grill before cooking chicken burgers, or else they will stick.
- Depending on how many patties you make and how thin or thick they are, you may need more or less time to cook your burgers. Use a meat thermometer to be sure that your chicken burgers reach an internal temperature of 165°F/74°C, and remove them when they do.
- To store: Store cooked ground chicken patties in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. They are easy to reheat in the microwave, air fryer, or in a warm skillet.
- To freeze raw patties: I suggest freezing them individually on a sheet tray, then removing and storing them in a freezer bag for up to 2 months. Thaw ground chicken burgers in the refrigerator overnight or cook them from frozen.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
© Little Sunny Kitchen
Leave a Review!