Everyone loves a Big Mac from McDonald’s, but did you know you can recreate that iconic sauce at home? This recipe is a homemade version of the famous Big Mac sauce, bringing the fast-food flavor right to your kitchen.
Sure, grabbing a sauce from the store is convenient. But making your own sauces at home? That’s a total game changer! It’s fresh, you know exactly what goes into it, and the best part – it’s fun.
If you’ve tried recreating popular fast-food sauces at home and loved it, you’ll be thrilled with the ones I have on my blog. Don’t forget to check out my other sauce recipes like the Chick-fil-A Sauce, Yum Yum Sauce, Bang Bang Sauce, Fry Sauce, and Raising Cane’s Sauce.
What is Big Mac Sauce?
Big Mac Sauce is a special kind of sauce that McDonald’s puts on their Big Mac burgers. Some people call it the “secret sauce.” It’s creamy and has a mix of flavors that makes it taste different from regular ketchup or mayo. A lot of people really like how it tastes and want to make something similar at home. It’s one of the reasons the Big Mac burger is so popular!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Simple Ingredients: This recipe uses common ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
- Tastes Like the Real Thing: Recreate that familiar fast-food flavor without leaving home. It tastes exactly like Mcdonald’s Big Mac sauce, if not better!
- Versatility: This sauce isn’t just for burgers. You can use it on salads, sandwiches, and so much more.
Here’s what you need to make this sauce:
- Mayonnaise: This is the base of our sauce. Make sure to use a good quality one for the best flavor. I personally don’t like Miracle Whip at all, but if that’s your thing, then go for it!
- Ketchup: A little bit of tomato ketchup is added for a sweet and tangy taste, and a pop of color.
- White Wine Vinegar: Gives the sauce its distinct tartness. If you don’t have white wine vinegar, you can use apple cider vinegar.
- Onion Powder & Garlic Powder: These give the sauce depth.
- Sweet Pickle Relish: This adds sweetness and texture to the sauce. You can use either dill or sweet pickle relish. If using sweet pickle relish, you can omit the granulated sugar.
- Smoked Paprika: Gives a gentle warmth, smokiness, and a touch of color.
Complete list of ingredients and amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
How To Make Big Mac Sauce
- Grab a medium-sized bowl.
- Mix all of your ingredients together. Make sure to stir well, so everything blends perfectly.
- Do a quick taste test and adjust any ingredients if needed.
- Cover the bowl and let it chill in the fridge for at least an hour. This lets the flavors mix together.
Ways to Use Big Mac Sauce
This sauce is, of course, perfect for burgers, try the best ever stovetop burgers or add it to turkey burgers. But why stop there? If you’re in the mood for something different, try using it on my delicious Big Mac Salad – I know you’re going to love it. This sauce brings a burst of flavor to salads and sandwiches. Plus, it’s a neat trick to impress friends at a BBQ or picnic!
- Let it Chill: Giving your sauce time in the fridge helps the flavors mix together. It’s worth the wait.
- Chill then Adjust: After chilling, taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings as you see fit.
- Stir Before Serving: Some ingredients may settle at the bottom. A quick stir makes sure you get all the flavors in every bite.
- Refrigeration: Always store the sauce in an airtight container in the fridge. It keeps it fresh.
- Shelf Life: The sauce tastes best when consumed within 4-5 days.
- No Freezing: This sauce doesn’t freeze well. It’s best to make a fresh batch when needed.
If you don’t have sweet pickle relish, you can finely chop some sweet pickles and use them as a substitute. The relish mainly adds sweetness and a bit of texture to the sauce. If you’re not a fan of pickles, you can omit it, but it might alter the authentic Big Mac sauce flavor.
If you prefer a kick to your sauce, you can add a dash of cayenne pepper or a bit of hot sauce. Start with a small amount, taste, and adjust according to your preference.
While this is a copycat recipe aiming to recreate the flavor of McDonald’s Big Mac sauce, there might be slight variations based on the exact ingredients and brands you use. Remember, the fast-food chain might also use certain additives or proprietary blends. Feel free to adjust the seasonings to get closer to the taste you’re aiming for.
While this sauce was recreated after a burger sauce, it’s versatile and can be a great dip for fries, chips, or even as a dressing for different salads.
No, traditional Big Mac Sauce from McDonald’s is not vegan. The sauce contains mayonnaise, which is made using eggs. If you’re looking to make a vegan version at home, you’d need to use vegan mayonnaise.
Making your own Big Mac sauce at home is easy, fun, and so worth it. Next time you have a craving, instead of driving to the nearest fast-food joint, head to your kitchen and whip up this awesome sauce.
If you loved recreating this iconic sauce, don’t forget to rate and review the recipe on my site. And if you want to easily find it later, be sure to pin it too!
- In a bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients.
- Mix well until everything is fully combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- For optimal flavor melding, allow the sauce to chill for at least an hour before serving.
- Don’t forget to taste and adjust seasonings after chilling, and adjust if needed.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
© Little Sunny Kitchen