This delightful Strawberry Feta Salad is a beautiful dish that you can easily whip up at home! Featuring a vibrant combination of sweet strawberries, tangy feta cheese cubes, and a homemade lemon honey dressing, this salad brings a burst of flavor to any gathering or casual weekend dinner.
Strawberries aren’t just for desserts or breakfast dishes, they’re a wonderful ingredient for salads too! Their sweet and slightly tart flavor profiles pair exceptionally well with savory elements, and they add a pop of color to any dish.
So I decided to add a fruity twist to our meal plan, and this Strawberry Feta Salad has quickly become a family favorite. Salads with strawberries bring together an exciting blend of textures and flavors – everyone is going to adore this recipe!
Whether you’re planning a BBQ, a potluck, or a dinner party during the warm weather months, this Strawberry Feta Salad is a crowd-pleaser. It can be served as a starter to awaken the palate or as a refreshing side to complement your main dishes. It’s incredibly versatile and the vibrant colors make it an attractive addition to any meal.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- An Elegant Yet Simple Salad – What I love about this salad is that it uses simple ingredients like ripe strawberries, fresh herbs, zesty lemon, and creamy feta to create a gourmet and beautiful side salad without any extra hassle.
- Salad with Fruit – Adding fruit to salad automatically elevates it. This strawberry salad showcases a sweet and savory combination, reminiscent of my Watermelon Feta Salad and Wild Rice and Apple Salad recipes.
- The Delightful Homemade Salad Dressing – Ditch the store-bought salad dressing. It takes only a minute to whip up a delicious lemon-honey vinaigrette for this salad, and it’s far superior to any dressing you’ve purchased before.
Ingredients In Recipe
Here’s what you need to make this delightful salad:
- Strawberries: The star of this recipe! Use fresh, ripe strawberries for the best flavor.
- Red Onion: Thinly sliced red onion provides a slight bite and crunch that contrasts well with the other ingredients.
- Fresh Basil and Parsley: These herbs bring a burst of freshness to the salad. You can also experiment with other herbs like mint or dill.
- Feta Cheese: Salty, tangy, and creamy feta complements the sweet strawberries beautifully. If you prefer, you can try this recipe with crumbled goat cheese or blue cheese. I like to dice the feta into cubes/chunks but feel free to crumble it if you prefer.
- Homemade Salad Dressing: Extra virgin olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, honey, and ground black pepper combine to create a tasty dressing for this salad.
While this Strawberry Feta Salad is fantastic on its own, you might want to add more layers of texture and flavor. Here are a few suggestions:
- Greens: Consider adding a handful of baby spinach leaves or arugula to the mix. These greens will complement the strawberries and feta nicely, and add a nutritional punch to the salad.
- Cucumber: If you want a bit more crunch and freshness, feel free to toss in some slices of cucumber. It’s a great way to make the salad even more refreshing, especially on hot summer days.
- Toasted Nuts: For an extra crunch, consider adding some toasted chopped nuts. Walnuts, almonds, or pecans would all work well. Toasting the nuts enhances their flavor and makes them even more delicious in this salad.
Complete list of ingredients and amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
How To Make Strawberry Feta Salad
- Prepare the Dressing: In a large salad bowl, combine the extra virgin olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, honey, and ground black pepper. Whisk them together until well mixed.
- Assemble the Salad: Add the strawberries, red onion, chopped basil, and parsley to the bowl with the dressing. Toss gently to combine all the ingredients.
- Add the feta cheese and give it another gentle toss. Serve immediately.
For a more filling version, add some grilled chicken or shrimp to this salad. It will turn into a complete meal on its own!
- Dice or crumble your own feta cheese. Instead of buying pre-crumbled cheese, buy a block of cheese and dice it or crumble it yourself right before adding it to the salad. It tastes fresher and less dry this way.
- Red onions. If you’d like to soften the bite of the red onion, you can soak the slices in cold water for 5-10 minutes before using them. Add More Greens. You can add some spinach or arugula to this salad for an extra dose of greens.
This salad is best enjoyed right after preparation. If you’re planning ahead, prepare the salad without the dressing and store it in the refrigerator. Add the dressing right before serving.
What To Serve With
This refreshing salad is a perfect side dish or starter for a dinner party, a holiday meal, or just a regular weeknight dinner.
This salad can also be served as the main dish! Add some crusty bread on the side for a satisfying, lighter meal.
Since I know you enjoy adding strawberries to salads, I thought that you might also love my strawberry spinach salad. It’s made with baby spinach and a tangy balsamic poppy seed dressing that perfectly complements the sweetness of the strawberries.
Absolutely! While feta cheese adds a unique tangy flavor that contrasts beautifully with the sweet strawberries, you could also use crumbled goat cheese or blue cheese.
This salad is quite versatile. Other than strawberries, you can use blueberries, raspberries, or even sliced peaches when they’re in season.
Yes, grilled chicken, shrimp, or even chickpeas would make a great addition if you want to turn this salad into a main course.
This Strawberry Feta Salad is a lovely, elegant dish perfect for any occasion. Serve this at your next gathering, or simply treat yourself to a sophisticated side dish tonight. If you try it, don’t forget to rate and review this recipe in the comments box below. Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 unwaxed lemon zest and juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound strawberries hulled and halved
- ½ medium red onion thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 8 ounces feta cheese diced or crumbled
- To make the dressing: In a large salad bowl, whisk together extra virgin olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, dijon mustard, honey, and ground black pepper.
- To assemble the salad: to the same bowl, add strawberries, red onion, chopped basil, and parsley and toss gently with a spatula to combine.
- Add the feta cheese, and again toss very gently to combine. Serve immediately.
- Crumble your own feta cheese. Instead of buying pre-crumbled cheese, buy a block of cheese and dice it or crumble it yourself right before adding it to the salad. It tastes fresher and less dry this way.
- Red Onions. If you’d like to soften the bite of the red onion, you can soak the slices in cold water for 5-10 minutes before using them.
- Add More Greens. You can add some spinach or arugula to this salad for an extra dose of greens. Storing. This salad is best enjoyed right after preparation. If you’re planning ahead, prepare the salad without the dressing and store it in the refrigerator. Add the dressing right before serving.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
© Little Sunny Kitchen