This fresh Strawberry Pie recipe features ripe, fresh, and juicy strawberries in a JELL-O filling, surrounded by a crispy and flakey pie crust. Add whipped cream and you have an amazing summer-y dessert, any time of year.
I absolutely love fresh strawberry season. In June when farmer’s markets are full of them and U-pick farms are opening up I can get my hands on bushels of delicious berries for dessert making. Dessert making is my happy place, and therefore fresh strawberries make me really happy.
Have you seen my Strawberry Galette recipe? It’s a gorgeous rustic pie made from strawberries that I love to make. I also adore this recipe for Strawberry Oatmeal Bars. They’re so easy to make, and my family loves them!
This strawberry pie is much different though. We’re making a strawberry pie with jello as the base of the filling. The strawberries in this pie are never cooked, so they keep their fresh flavor and texture. This pie is cool, sweet, and perfectly strawberry flavored.
What is Gelatin?
Gelatin is a natural protein that is obtained from animal collagen. It is what makes Jello-O jiggly, and also the same thing that makes homemade bone broth solid when cold.
Gelatin is used in many processed foods and can be used by home cooks who primarily use it to make desserts. You can find plain gelatin in powdered or sheet forms. In this recipe, we’re using flavored gelatin, which is powdered gelatin mixed with sugar and flavoring, most well known as JELL-O.
Check out my other Strawberry JELL-O Pie. This no bake strawberry pie uses just Jell-O and cool whip to create a creamy strawberry flavored dessert.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Minimal Baking Time: We only need to bake the bottom crust for this pie, and you can do this part ahead of time if you want to. It’s great for summer, because I can make the pie in the evening when it’s less hot and then let the pie set in the fridge overnight.
- Shortcut! We’re using strawberry flavored Jell-O rather than making our own strawberry flavored gelatine. I find this to be super simple and makes the whole pie much easier to put together.
- 6 Ingredients: You don’t need a lot of things to make this strawberry pie. Aside from the strawberries, you might even have the rest of the ingredients in your pantry.
Ingredients in this Strawberry Pie Recipe
- A Single Pie Crust – I have the perfect Pie Crust Recipe for you! Feel free to use your favorite recipe or a store bought crust.
- Water – Needed to dissolve the Jell-O and create our filling.
- Cornstarch – This makes the filling extra thick.
- Granulated Sugar – Adds sweetness to our fresh strawberries. You can’t have pie without lots of sugar!
- Strawberry Flavored Gelatin – JELL-O is the most well-known brand of this, but any brand of flavored gelatin will work.
- Fresh Strawberries – Wash and slice the strawberries to get them ready for the pie.
- Fresh Whipped Cream – It’s not required, but I highly recommend eating this pie topped with a generous amount of whipped cream. Because who doesn’t love strawberries and cream?
How to Make Fresh Strawberry Pie
- Preheat: You want your oven heated to 400°F/205°C.
- Bake Crust: Roll out the pie crust and place in a 9-inch pie dish. Blind bake it by adding parchment paper or foil and pie weights or beans to the pie. Bake as directed in the recipe below, then set aside.
- Make Filling: In a saucepan, combine water, cornstarch, and sugar. Bring mixture to a boil and stir until the mixture thickens.
- Add Gelatin: Remove from heat and stir in the gelatin. Set aside to cool.
- Fill Pie: Arrange the fresh strawberries in the pre-baked pie crust, and then carefully pour the gelatin mixture over the strawberries. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours.
- Serve: Top with whipping cream if desired and serve cold.
Recipe Success Tips
- Wash and Dry Your Berries: You don’t want extra moisture in your filling, so make sure to clean your berries well and allow them to dry before adding. If they sit and release their juices, drain the juice off before adding them.
- Start With a Good Crust: I highly recommend my All Butter Pie Crust recipe for this pie. A good crust really makes a good pie.
- Make it Your Own: Use sugar free gelatin if you prefer to keep the sugar or calories lower in this pie. For topping, use fresh whipped cream or whipped topping if you like.
What to Serve With Fresh Strawberry Pie
For me, this pie is a summertime staple, and I love taking it to BBQs or other outdoor parties.
Another amazing dessert for a summer party is this Red, White, and Blue 4th of July Cake!
Frequently Asked Questions
Because we’re adding a wet filling to a baked crust, there is the possibility that things can get soggy. Some of that sogginess can be avoided though! You can brush the inside of the pie with egg wash before pre-baking it. This will create a better seal on the dough so it’s not so absorbent. I do this with my Peach Pie and it works wonderfully.
There could be a few culprits. One, you added too much liquid to the filling. Make sure to dry the strawberries well and pay attention to your measurements. Two, you may not have let it set up long enough. Put it back in the fridge for a couple of hours and try again.
Keep this pie refrigerated until you’re ready to serve. Cover with plastic wrap or store in a sealed pie container to keep the flavor fresh. This pie will stay in the fridge for up to three days.
This spelling conundrum is pretty easily solved. It’s a difference in American English vs. UK English. In America, it’s called gelatin, and in the UK they add an e to the end.
I hope you enjoy this Fresh Strawberry Pie as much as I do! It’s such a beautiful and simple to make dessert. Make sure you pin this recipe so everyone can enjoy it too.
- 1 single pie crust click for recipe
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 3-ounce package strawberry flavored gelatin like JELL-O
- 4 cups fresh strawberries sliced
- Fresh whipping cream for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/205°C.
- Roll out the pie crust, and place in a 9-inch pie dish. Blind bake it by adding parchment paper or foil, and pie weights or beans to the pie. Bake for 8 minutes, remove pie weights and parchment paper or foil and bake for 5 more minutes.
- In a saucepan, combine water, cornstarch, and sugar. Bring mixture to a boil and stir until the mixture thickens (2 minutes).
- Remove from heat, and stir in the gelatine. Set aside to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Arrange the fresh strawberries in the pre-baked pie crust, and then pour the gelatine mixture over the strawberries. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set (minimum 4 hours).
- Top with whipping cream if desired and serve.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
© Little Sunny Kitchen