Soft, fluffy vanilla jam filled cupcakes filled with fresh strawberry jam and frosted with fluffy vanilla frosting… I’ve used a cupcake corer and they’re quite easy too!
Today’s homemade vanilla cupcakes recipe is quite interesting. These cupcakes are basically the basic vanilla fluffy cupcakes, but this time they’re filled with fresh strawberry jam! I love the fact that those cupcakes have a strawberry jam centre once you get past the light vanilla frosting.
HOW TO MAKE JAM FILLED CUPCAKES
I used a cupcake corer because it’s perfect for removing a cupcake’s centre and filling it with either jam, cream, icing, or even chocolate! However, you can always use a teaspoon and scoop out a hole in the centre of the cupcake. I really had fun baking these cupcakes, removing the centres with a cupcake corer, and filling them with strawberry jam.
The cupcake bases are very soft, and that makes it easy to scoop out the centres using the cupcake corer. Trust me, I really enjoyed this activity and seeing the reactions of my family once they found the “surprise” in the middle of the cupcakes made it worthwhile!
Now back to the strawberry jam cupcakes, what’s your favourite frosting? I love it when frosting is light and creamy. And really hate it when you can actually feel granulated sugar in it. So I tend to sift the powdered sugar before mixing it in for the frosting, and I make sure that the butter is at room temperature for fluffy and light frosting.
TIPS ON HOW TO BAKE THE PERFECT CUPCAKE BASES
Two more tips for perfect cupcakes, always make sure that you don’t over-mix the batter, I always mix the batter using a whisk and only mix until just combined. And always make sure that the ingredients are at room temperature, the ingredients incorporate into the batter easily when ingredients are at similar temperatures. Imagine mixing melted butter with cold milk. Don’t do that!
If you make these jam cupcakes, please don’t forget to rate this recipe and share a picture on social media. Tag #LittleSunnyKitchen in your posts as I would really love to see what you make! Thank you for supporting Little Sunny Kitchen, so I can keep sharing my tasty recipes with you for free.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup full fat milk
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pink food colouring optional
- Strawberry jam
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In another mixing bowl beat together the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in vanilla.
- Beat in dry ingredients into wet ingredients and whisk mix until just combined. Do not over mix, mix in milk and yoghurt. (batter will be thick)
- Scoop batter into 12 lined muffin tins, and bake on 180c for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Completely chill before using the cupcake corer, cut in about 1 inch deep piece from the top of each cupcake, and fill each with 1 tbsp strawberry jam.
- To make the frosting: Beat softened butter using an electric mixer until light and creamy, add powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and food colouring if desired. Frost the cupcakes and chill.
- Cupcakes stay fresh for 7 days stored an airtight container in the fridge.
- If frosting is too sweet, add 1/2 tsp salt to balance the taste.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
© Little Sunny Kitchen
This post contains affiliate links, which means that I get a small comission if you purchase a product using my link at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Little Sunny Kitchen and making it possible for me to do what I love; sharing my favourite recipes with you for free!