Soft, fluffy vanilla jam filled cupcakes filled with fresh strawberry jam and frosted with fluffy vanilla frosting… I’ve used a cupcake corer and they’re quite easy too!
Today’s homemade vanilla cupcakes recipe is quite interesting. These cupcakes are basically the basic vanilla fluffy cupcakes, but this time they’re filled with fresh strawberry jam! I love the fact that those cupcakes have a strawberry jam centre once you get past the light vanilla frosting.
How to Make Jam Filled Cupcakes
I used a cupcake corer because it’s perfect for removing a cupcake’s centre and filling it with either jam, cream, icing, or even chocolate! However, you can always use a teaspoon and scoop out a hole in the centre of the cupcake. I really had fun baking these cupcakes, removing the centres with a cupcake corer, and filling them with strawberry jam.
The cupcake bases are very soft, and that makes it easy to scoop out the centres using the cupcake corer. Trust me, I really enjoyed this activity and seeing the reactions of my family once they found the “surprise” in the middle of the cupcakes made it worthwhile!
Now back to the strawberry jam cupcakes, what’s your favorite frosting? I love it when frosting is light and creamy. And really hate it when you can actually feel granulated sugar in it. So I tend to sift the powdered sugar before mixing it in for the frosting, and I make sure that the butter is at room temperature for fluffy and light frosting.
Two more tips for perfect cupcakes, always make sure that you don’t over-mix the batter, I always mix the batter using a whisk and only mix until just combined. And always make sure that the ingredients are at room temperature, the ingredients incorporate into the batter easily when ingredients are at similar temperatures. Imagine mixing melted butter with cold milk. Don’t do that!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest!
Jam Filled Cupcakes
- 1 ½ cups (225 g) all purpose flour (plain flour in the UK and Aus), cake flour also works
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter
- ¾ cups (150 g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs 50-55g / 2oz each, at room temperature
- ¾ cup (180 ml) milk whole or 2% (whole or semi-skimmed)
- ½ cup (125 g) Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup whole milk or 2%
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pink food coloring optional
- Strawberry jam
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In another mixing bowl beat together the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in vanilla.
- Beat in dry ingredients into wet ingredients and whisk mix until just combined. Do not over-mix, mix in milk and yogurt. (batter will be thick)
- Scoop batter into 12 lined muffin tins, and bake on 180c for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Completely chill before using the cupcake corer, cut in about 1 inch deep piece from the top of each cupcake, and fill each with 1 tbsp strawberry jam.
To make the frosting:
- Beat softened butter using a hand mixer until light and creamy, add powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and food coloring if desired. Frost the cupcakes and chill.
- Cupcakes stay fresh for 7 days stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
© Little Sunny Kitchen
Leave a Review!