Super moist and rich chocolate cupcakes topped with classic vanilla frosting & colourful sprinkles!
These are my new favourite cupcakes! Yesterday, it was one of my friends’ farewell, he left to the UK this morning to pursue his studies for a master’s degree in Medicine at University of Edinburgh. So we had this little gathering at this house, it was just him and a few friends, and each of us brought something to eat to the gathering. There was Pizza, Banoffee pie (this one was amazing, I’m gonna ask my friend that made it for the recipe), chocolate pudding, chips & dips, and finally chocolate cupcakes with vanilla frosting 🙂
I found the recipe on Sally’s blog, the recipe is so simple, they are extremely easy to make and only take 20 minutes in the oven. and if you have never tried making homemade frosting, you HAVE to try this recipe! This is simpler than you imagine!!
These cupcakes are incredibly fudgy, you will love how rich these cupcakes are, it’s like biting into a huge piece of good quality chocolate and the best part is that there is no butter in this dough, they’re made with vegetable oil (I used corn oil) and they stay perfectly tender and moist for days.
Classic Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Frosting
- 42 grams unsweetened cocoa powder
- 95 grams all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 100 grams granulated sugar
- 100 grams light brown sugar
- 80 ml vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 120 ml milk
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 180c, line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Cupcakes: In a bowl, whisk cacao powder, baking soda, baking powder and flour together then set aside. In another bowl, mix eggs with sugar, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla until well combined. Pour dry ingredients over wet ingredients as well as the milk, gently stir only until the ingredients are just combined but do not over mix if you want soft muffins! (The batter won't be thick)
- Spoon the batter into cupcake liners, but only to the half if you don't want them to spill over. Bake for 18-20 minutes and make sure not to over bake to get perfect moist cupcakes!
- Frosting: Beat butter (at room temperature) until creamy, then add the rest of the ingredients and beat for a couple of minutes. Frost your cupcakes however you like, have fun with the frosting colours and designs! (If frosting turns out too thin add more powdered sugar)
Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
After trying these cupcakes, you will never go for the bakery ones ever again!