Creamy roasted sweet potato soup with carrots that can be ready in under 40 minutes!
You have no idea how much am I enjoying this season! All I cook with nowadays is pumpkin, roasted potatoes and I make lots of desserts with apples. I am not exaggerating! But this season is a good excuse to make lots of seasonal soups and desserts. I’m one of these people that don’t cook much during the summer, because I feel like I’ll have to stay in more and miss all the fun outside. When the Autumn arrives, I start feeling inspired again to cook all the dishes that I love or have been wanting to try.
EASY ROASTED SWEET POTATO SOUP
As it’s getting colder outside, I’ve been thinking how nothing beats dunking a piece of crusty bread in a bowl of creamy sweet potato soup during this weather. This warming soup is EASY, very quick to whip up and delicious. Only 5 steps – chop, roast, throw everything in a pot, blitz, add milk and serve!
ROASTING SWEET POTATOES
Roasting the sweet potatoes and the carrots adds a lot to the flavour, does it make a difference to the taste? Yes. Is it necessary? No. Of course you can just boil all the veg in a pot and still make a delicious sweet potato soup. However, I strongly recommend roasting the veg and it only takes 20 minutes in the oven and is totally worth it!
This simple version of sweet potato soup does not require any gourmet ingredients or exotic seasoning or flavourings, to roast the sweet potatoes and the carrots I added ground black pepper, cumin seeds and fresh rosemary sprigs. The simpler it is, the more delicious I find it.
So now back to my sweet potato soup recipe, you seriously need to try this. It is so warming and comforting, you will keep making it all season! It’s also great to serve as a vegetarian starter for your next dinner party, and can count as 2 of your 5 a day! It really does not take much to make a great sweet potato soup, the method is simple and the ingredients used are even simpler!
I also created a step by step video to show you how easy is this soup to make.
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag your photo with #LittleSunnyKitchen as I would love to see your creations!
- 2 sweet potatoes large
- 2 carrots
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 250 ml milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 200c.
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes and the carrots. Transfer to a roasting tin, and drizzle with 3 tbsp of olive oil. Add cumin seeds, ground black pepper and rosemary. Give it a good mix for the olive oil and the seasoning to coat the vegetables. Roast for 20 minutes or until tender.
- In a pot, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and fry the onion until softened. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute before adding the stock.
- Add vegetable stock, and simmer for 10 minutes. Let the roasted vegetables cool down, then add them to the pot.
- Using a hand blender, blend the vegetables until soup is silky and smooth. Stir in milk, and add some salt.
- Serve warm with crusty bread on the side, or croutons and good grinding of pepper.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
© Little Sunny Kitchen