Creamy coconut sweet potato curry made with very simple ingredients in less than half an hour! This family-friendly sweet potato curry is so comforting, easy to make, frugal and delicious!
This curry is one of my favourite meals that I make all the time. We have a curry at least once a week, I find it so easy to make, full of flavour and it’s healthy and filling. I do change things up a little though, and use different veggies depending on what I have available. This curry is similar to Thai curries because of the coconut flavour, I also either add lemongrass while I’m cooking or squeeze fresh lime juice over the curry when serving.
And after making my butternut squash curry over and over again, I decided to change things up a little and came up with this sweet potato curry!
SWEET POTATO CURRY
Sweet potatoes are one of the best vegetables that can go in curries. They’re sweet, nutritious, colourful and can be paired very well with many different vegetables. The combination that I’m sharing here with you is quite simple, and the flavours are unique but also suitable for children. My nieces and nephews love this curry!
To make this curry, use:
- Sweet potatoes, carrots, spinach leaves
- Onion, garlic, ginger (preferably fresh, but you can also use dried), turmeric (fresh or dried), green
chilli(skip if you don’t like spicy food), c oconutmilk for the sauce
- And the spices, cumin, coriander, black pepper, and salt.
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO CURRY
First, prep your ingredients. This means that you’ll have to dice the onion, mince the garlic, peel and grate the ginger and the turmeric if you’re using fresh ones. If you’re using green chilli, then deseed it and dice it.
Peel and cube the sweet potato, the carrot, and wash the spinach leaves. If you’re using large spinach leaves, then you’ll need to chop them up a little. If you’re using baby spinach leaves, then just wash them.
Then start cooking!
I normally use my cast iron pot that you can see in the picture below. But you can use any pot that you have.
Heat some oil on medium heat, and saute the onion until it’s soft and translucent. Then add ginger, turmeric, garlic and green chilli. Cook for 1-2 minutes then add the spices and cook for 1 more minute.
Now it’s time to add the sweet potato, carrot and coconut milk to the pot. Reduce the heat, cover with the lid and simmer until the vegetables are soft.
When the sweet potatoes and the carrot are soft enough, turn off the heat and stir in the spinach leaves. Stir them a little for them to wilt, season with salt and pepper and that’s your curry now ready to be served!
Serve with brown rice and garnish with crushed cashew nuts, and basil leaves if desired.
WHAT OTHER VEGETABLES CAN I ADD TO THIS CURRY?
You can also add:
- Mini corn
- Bell peppers
- Chickpeas or any other beans like butterbeans for example
If you’re looking for more sweet potato recipes, then try my breakfast sweet potato hash, or this slow cooker sweet potato and butternut squash soup!
If you make this curry, please don’t forget to rate it and share a picture on social media. Tag #LittleSunnyKitchen in your posts as I would really love to see what you make!
Thank you for supporting Little Sunny Kitchen, so I can keep sharing my family recipes with you for free.
Sweet Potato Curry
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 cm ginger root peeled and grated or diced
- 1 cm turmeric root peeled and grated or diced
- 1 green chilli deseeded and diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 1 carrot peeled and sliced
- 1 (400ml) tin (1 3/4 cups) coconut milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ cup spinach shredded (or baby spinach – leave them as they are)
For the brown rice:
- 140 grams 5 oz brown basmati rice
- 1 litre water
- ½ tsp salt
- Heat oil in a pot, then saute the onion until it's soft and translucent.
- Add the ginger, turmeric, garlic and chilli. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Then add cumin and coriander and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add sweet potato, carrot, and coconut milk. Cover with a lid, and simmer until the carrot and the potato are soft. Turn off the heat.
- Season with salt and pepper. Then add the spinach, and give the curry a gentle stir for the spinach to wilt.
To cook the brown rice:
- Add brown rice to a pot, and cover with the water. Season with salt. Bring to a boil, then cover with a lid and simmer for 20-22 minutes.
- Rinse the excess water, fluff with a fork and serve.