A warming hearty Russian buckwheat soup that is perfect for cold winter days!
This is one of my all time favourite soups! It’s my Mum’s recipe, and I love it because:
It’s very very delicious
It’s super healthy
And I love buckwheat!
BUCKWHEAT SOUP IS THE PERFECT SOUP FOR THE COLD WEATHER
We’re in the middle of the cold winter, and when it’s freezing outside I get in the kind of mood where all I want to do is snuggle up on the couch in my favourite pyjamas, with a warm blanket, a good book or film, and with a huge bowl of warm yummy soup. I’m a soup person, I love to eat soups regardless to the season and the weather outside. I love winter soups but summer soups are also wonderful! There are many soups that I call my favourites, such as lentil soup, chicken soup, potato carrot soup, and definitely this buckwheat soup.
VEGAN BUCKWHEAT SOUP
This version of Buckwheat soup that I’m sharing with you today is made with chicken. However, this can be easily turned into a vegan soup by simply omitting the chicken.
HOW TO MAKE BUCKWHEAT SOUP
This is really simple. All you need to do is chop all veggies, then sauté onion followed by carrots. Add chicken cubes (if you’re using chicken) and brown, add mushrooms and sauté. Then add water with potato cubes and buckwheat. Season with salt, pepper, bay leaf and whatever you’re using. Close the lid and let the soup cook!
What I love about this soup is how many veggies actually go in it; onions, mushrooms, carrots, potatoes, and it’s garnished with chopped parsley. It’s a very colourful soup that can definitely cheer you up on a cold winter day!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 4 ounces (120g) mushrooms sliced, any type
- 1 large chicken breasts cubed
- 2 cups cubed potato
- 6 cups (1.5 liters) vegetable or chicken stock
- ½ cup buckwheat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Chop up all veggies. In a large pot sauté onions in olive oil. Then add carrots and sauté together. Add chicken cubes and cook until the chicken is browned from all sides.
- Add the mushrooms, sauté for one minute. Then add 1 litre of water, and the cubed potatoes.
- Add the buckwheat and season with salt, black pepper, and throw in the bay leaves.
- Close the lid, and let it cook on medium heat for 40-50 minutes.
- Serve with 1 tbsp of yoghurt mixed in the centre of the bowl.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
© Little Sunny Kitchen
Leave a Review!