A healthy Middle Eastern dish that consists of green beans, tomato sauce, meat, and white rice on the side! It’s a great main dish to have for dinner as it’s healthy, delicious and filling!
This is a wonderful traditional Middle Eastern stew that my Mum cooks ever since I was a child. French beans are also called green beans or string beans, and the meat can be beef or lamb but I prefer beef. I also use tomato paste to make the tomato sauceÂ but you can use fresh tomatoes instead of using a blender. I really enjoy cooking and eating such healthy dishes that are made with a lot of yummy veggies, so if you’re trying to eat healthily then this recipe is for you!
Now you might wonder why would you want to cook something in a slow cooker and wait for 4 or 5 hours until it’s ready when you can just cook it on the stove and it’s ready in less than 2 hours? The reason is that when food is slow cooked you get the most delicious flavours from your meal! The meat becomes very soft and tender and flavourful!
Now, this dish does require a little bit of work but it’s worth it, I promise! And if you’re don’t eat meat, you still can enjoy this dish without the meat and it will turn out very delicious as well.
I hope that you love this recipe as much as I do, and don’t forget to check out more of my Middle Eastern Recipes.
If you make this recipe, please don’t forget to rate this recipe and share a picture on social media. Tag #LittleSunnyKitchen in your posts as I would really love to see what you make! Thank you for supporting Little Sunny Kitchen, so I can keep sharing my family recipes with you for free.
Slow Cooker Middle Eastern green bean stew with meat
- 6 pieces beef or lamb
- 1/2 kg green/french beans
- 2 onion 1 left whole, and 1 chopped
- a pinch of salt
- black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3-4 tbsp tomato paste
- 3-5 cloves of garlic minced
- corn oil
- To cook meat, place meat in a pot of water on high heat, let it boil, and remove any forming foam on the top. Let it boil for a couple more minutes.
- Remove meat from pot, and wash it. Set aside.
- Wash the green beans, remove the tips, and chop to 3 cm long pieces.
- In a frying pan heat corn oil, and fry the beans and sautee lightly for 4-5 minutes.
- In your Crockpot place the meat, 1 whole onion, the slightly cooked beans, salt, pepper, 1 bay leaf, and any spices desired (I add Bharat). And let it cook on high for 4-4.5 hours. (or on low for 8 hours).
- When the beans and the meat are almost done. In a frying pan heat some vegetable oil and slightly fry the minced garlic, and a chopped onion. Add 2 tbsp of flour, 3-4 tbsp tomato sauce, and bullion (from the meat), mix well and let it boil with stirring. (You can add a bit of vinegar or sugar for taste)
- Add the mixture to the crockpot, and let it cook for 20 more minutes.
- Serve warm with white rice on the side.