A healthy Middle Eastern dish that consists of green beans, tomato sauce, meat, and white rice on the side! It’s a great main dish to have for dinner as it’s healthy, delicious, and filling!
This is a wonderful traditional Middle Eastern stew that my Mum cooks ever since I was a child. French beans are also called green beans or string beans, and the meat can be beef or lamb but I prefer beef. I also use tomato paste to make the tomato sauceÂ but you can use fresh tomatoes instead of using a blender. I really enjoy cooking and eating such healthy dishes that are made with a lot of yummy veggies, so if you’re trying to eat healthily then this recipe is for you!
Now you might wonder why would you want to cook something in a slow cooker and wait for 4 or 5 hours until it’s ready when you can just cook it on the stove and it’s ready in less than 2 hours? The reason is that when food is slow-cooked you get the most delicious flavors from your meal! The meat becomes very soft and tender and flavourful!
Now, this dish does require a little bit of work but it’s worth it, I promise! And if you’re don’t eat meat, you still can enjoy this dish without the meat and it will turn out very delicious as well.
Serve it with plain rice, or with Lebanese rice, and enjoy!
I hope that you love this recipe as much as I do, and don’t forget to check out more of my Middle Eastern Recipes.
- 6 pieces beef or lamb
- 1 pound (450g) green/french beans
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onion 1 left whole, and 1 chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon baharat
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3-4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3-5 cloves garlic minced
- corn oil
- To cook meat, place meat in a pot of water on high heat, let it boil, and remove any floating scum and fat. Let it boil for a couple more minutes.
- Remove meat from the pot, and wash it. Set aside.
- Wash the green beans, remove the tips, and chop to 3 cm-long pieces.
- In a frying pan heat vegetable oil, and fry the beans and saute lightly for 4-5 minutes.
- In your slow cooker place the meat, a whole onion, the slightly cooked beans, salt, pepper, 1 bay leaf, and any spices desired (I add Baharat). And let it cook on high for 4-4.5 hours. (or on low for 8 hours).
- When the beans and the meat are almost done. In a frying pan heat some vegetable oil and slightly fry the minced garlic, and chopped onion. Add the flour, 3-4 tablespoons tomato sauce, and broth (from the meat), mix well and let it boil with stirring. (You can add a bit of vinegar or sugar for taste)
- Add the mixture to the crockpot, and let it cook for 20 more minutes.
- Serve warm with rice on the side.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
© Little Sunny Kitchen