A comforting Middle Eastern dish (“Saniyet Jaj” or also called “Jaj w Batata bil Saniyeh”): A chicken potato bake with lots of veggies!
Have you ever wondered what dish to prepare when you want something satisfying and quick at the same time? If so, here is the answer! Saniyet jaj is a super delicious middle eastern dish that everyone loves! It consists of chicken, potatoes, carrots, courgettes, garlic, onion and a bit of olive oil. Then you add a bit of herbs like thyme (fresh or dried) and it will taste amazingly delicious.
If you follow the steps in this recipe, I guarantee that your kitchen will smell amazing and everyone will thank you for preparing this delicious dish! I remember once when I was still a student living in a students’ residence, I baked this dish and took it out of the oven to cool down. When I came back to the kitchen, I found all my flatmates standing around it with their hungry bear look following my steps as I enter! They kept telling me how great the smell was. Eventually, I had no other choice but to share my food with them. Everything was gone in no time! :’)
To prepare this dish you start by cutting up a whole chicken and remove the skin. If you don’t know how to do this, please refer to this excellent video on Little Sunny Kitchen’s Youtube channel. Alternatively, you can use chicken breasts and/or drums as you prefer. Rinse and drain chicken. Then add some salt and 7 spices. Peal, cut and slightly brown potatoes. Set Aside. Then brown onion and add chicken and garlic. Put all ingredients in an oven proof dish and bake for 20-25 minutes. Then grill from above for about 5 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!
Seneyet Jaj (Middle Eastern Chicken Potato Bake)
- 1 whole chicken cut up into pieces, or use just breasts/drums if you prefer
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 medium-sized potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1 courgette
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- 1/2 tsb salt
- 1/4 tbs chicken spices 7 spices "bharat jaj"
- Cut up the chicken and remove skin. To get rid of the "chickeny" smell that a not-so-fresh chicken could have, rub some salt into it, and soak in some lemon juice or vinegar and let sit for 3 to 4 minutes. Rinse well under running cold water and drain.
- Make several cuts in chicken to allow sauce and flavours to seep inside.
- Rub chicken with some olive oil, salt and chicken spices (7 spices).
- Peel potatoes and cut into disks. Salt slightly.
- Peel carrots and courgettes and cut into circles or stems.
- In a pot, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and slightly brown cut potatoes. Remove and set aside.
- Peel and cut onion.
- In the same pot, add more olive oil (if needed) and brown onion till it's soft. Then add crushed garlic. After 30 seconds add chicken to brown slightly.
- Put all ingredients in an oven proof dish, adding chicken with onion and garlic to the bottom, potatoes with the rest of vegetables used to the top.
- Sizzle with herbs.
- Put the dish in a preheated oven and bake at medium heat for about 20-25 minutes.
- Brown the top for about 5 minutes.
- Serve warm and bon appetite!