Sweet and fluffy Russian cinnamon buns that are perfect for any tea party!
I love sharing recipes from my childhood with you guys, and that’s the reason why I have so many Russian recipes shared on this blog. One of these really great recipes that my Mum used to make all the time for us when we were little, is of these fluffy and soft cinnamon and sugar buns. In Russia, they are called Plushki.
WHAT ARE PLUSHKI
“Plushki” is a plural noun, so when referring to only one bun it’s called Plushka! Plushki are simple yeasted buns made with very simple ingredients. The recipe is also perfect for people who just started baking so you don’t need to be an expert, and it requires very little kneading time.
INGREDIENTS REQUIRED TO MAKE PLUSHKI
Ingredients that you need to make these Russian buns are very simple. You will need milk, egg, yeast, vegetable oil, flour, sugar, and a pinch of salt. To make the filling, you will need melted butter, ground cinnamon and sugar. Some people like to add sugar only, but Plushki with ground cinnamon are definitely my favourite!
These buns can also be made with sugar only, so you can omit the cinnamon if you want simpler tasting buns. They turn out so soft and fluffy. I would recommend enjoying them with a glass of milk or a cup of tea with milk! Now enjoy the video that I made for you to show you exactly how I make my Russian cinnamon buns!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest!
Russian Cinnamon Buns (Plushki)
- 15 grams instant yeast
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar + 1 teaspoon
- 3 tablespoons lukewarm water
- 150 ml (½ cup) Milk
- 1 large egg
- a pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 500 grams all purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a small bowl mix yeast with 1 teaspoon of sugar and water. Stir and set aside in a warm place to let it bubble.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg with a2 Milk™. Add salt, sugar, vegetable oil and dissolved yeast and give it a mix.
- Gradually start adding the flour while whisking the mixture until it becomes a dough that you knead.
- Knead the dough ball until it’s soft and elastic. Put the dough ball in a bowl, cover with a damp cloth and set aside to let it double in size (this will take 30 minutes – 1 hour)
- Take a small bowl, and mix sugar with the ground cinnamon to make the filling.
- Melt the butter, and use it to grease your baking tin. And preheat the oven to 180c.
- Take the dough ball, and cut into smaller balls (you should have around 6) but this depends on the size of the buns that you want.
- On a floured surface, take a small dough ball and flatten it into a flat circle using your fingers. Brush it with melted butter, and sprinkle with the prepared cinnamon sugar filling to the centre of the Plushka staying away from the edges.
- Roll the circle into a cylinder, and then press the right edge with the left edge.
- With a knife cut in the centre of the plushka from the non edge side towards the edges leaving the end uncut.
- Then spread each cut to create a heart shaped plushka.
- Transfer to the prepared baking tin, and bake for 15-20 minutes.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
© Little Sunny Kitchen
Leave a Review!