Easy homemade juice kompot recipe made with berries and apples. A traditional recipe that every Russian family makes! It can be made using fresh or dried fruits throughout the year.
Homemade Juice Kompot
Kompot or compot is one of the recipes that I grew up having. My Mum made it every summer using fresh fruit, and then in the winter she made it with dried fruit. Any kind of fruit can work with this, berries, apples, apricots, cherries, you name it!
My favorite thing about this recipe is that you get to drink the juice, and then with a spoon eat the fruit! But feel free to strain the juice if you prefer.
This summer we have so many different berries in our Russian datcha (country house), and my Mother has been making kompot juice non-stop. So here I am sharing her recipe for Kompot with you!
Kompot Juice Ingredients
- You will need fruit (fresh, frozen or dried).
Fruits that you can add
- Apples and pears.
- All kinds of berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, sea buckthorn, gooseberries, mulberries, etc…).
- Apricots, peaches, plums, and grapes.
How to make
Wash fruits, and pit any stone fruit that you’re using.
Fill a pot with water, and bring it to a boil. Add fruit, and cook uncovered for 5-7 minutes. Switch the heat off, and add sugar to taste. Let the sugar dissolve.
Let the juice come to room temperature, and then either strain it or not (we don’t!). Serve the juice warm (during winter), or chilled!
How much sugar to add?
To taste! I personally like sour tastes and never add too much sugar. You can also sweeten with honey, maple syrup or any other sweetener that you prefer.
Another Russian drink that I really like is this sea buckthorn juice. Have you heard of sea buckthorn berries before? I wrote a blog post about everything that I know about these berries, so make sure to check it out.
For more great Russian recipes, head over to my Russian recipe collection.
If you make this recipe, please don’t forget to rate it and share a picture on social media. Tag #LittleSunnyKitchen in your posts as I would really love to see what you make! Thank you for supporting Little Sunny Kitchen, so I can keep sharing my family recipes with you for free.
- 1 lbs 500 grams mixed fruit (apples, berries, stone fruit etc)
- ½ cup 100 grams sugar
- 8 cups 2 liters water
- Wash fruit, roughly chop up apples and bigger fruits, and pit any stone fruits that you're using.
- Fill a pot with water, and bring it to boil. Once it starts boiling, add in the fruit then cook uncovered for 5-7 minutes. Switch the heat off, and add sugar to taste. Let it dissolve and the juice to cool down.
- You can choose to either strain the juice or not. Serve warm or chilled.