Easy homemade juice kompot recipe made with berries and apples. A traditional recipe that every Russian family makes! It can be made using fresh or dried fruits throughout the year.
Homemade Juice Kompot
Kompot or compot is one of the recipes that I grew up having. My Mum made it every summer using fresh fruit, and then in the winter she made it with dried fruit. Any kind of fruit can work with this, berries, apples, apricots, cherries, you name it!
My favorite thing about this recipe is that you get to drink the juice, and then with a spoon eat the fruit! But feel free to strain the juice if you prefer.
This summer we have so many different berries in our Russian datcha (country house), and my Mother has been making kompot juice non-stop. So here I am sharing her recipe for Kompot with you!
Kompot Juice Ingredients
- You will need fruit (fresh, frozen or dried).
Fruits that you can add
- Apples and pears.
- All kinds of berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, sea buckthorn, gooseberries, mulberries, etc…).
- Apricots, peaches, plums, and grapes.
How to make
Wash fruits, and pit any stone fruit that you’re using.
Fill a pot with water, and bring it to a boil. Add fruit, and cook uncovered for 5-7 minutes. Switch the heat off, and add sugar to taste. Let the sugar dissolve.
Let the juice come to room temperature, and then either strain it or not (we don’t!). Serve the juice warm (during winter), or chilled!
How much sugar to add?
To taste! I personally like sour tastes and never add too much sugar. You can also sweeten with honey, maple syrup or any other sweetener that you prefer.
Another Russian drink that I really like is this sea buckthorn juice. Have you heard of sea buckthorn berries before? I wrote a blog post about everything that I know about these berries, so make sure to check it out.
For more great Russian recipes, head over to my Russian recipe collection.
I don’t feel like I say this often enough, or that I could ever thank you enough. But THANK YOU for all of your support, for visiting my blog, commenting, and sharing my recipes with your friends and family. I am SO thankful for you!
If you make this recipe or any of my recipes, then don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below. I would LOVE to hear about your experience and your comments just make my day!
I hope that you love every recipe that you make! – Diana x
- 1 pound (500 grams) mixed fruit (apples, berries, stone fruit etc)
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 8 cups (2 liters) water
- Wash fruit, roughly chop up apples and bigger fruits, and pit any stone fruits that you're using.
- Fill a pot with water, and bring it to boil. Once it starts boiling, add in the fruit then cook uncovered for 5-7 minutes. Switch the heat off, and add sugar to taste. Let it dissolve and the juice to cool down.
- You can choose to either strain the juice or not. Serve warm or chilled.
- Use fresh, dried or frozen fruit.