This herb cream sauce for salmon is quick and easy to make that you’ll whip it up in minutes every time you cook salmon! It’s creamy, garlicky, and adds a lot of flavor to your fish dinner.
There are many sauces that you can serve with salmon, but this one is my favorite! It’s super creamy, very simple and easy to make, and adds so much flavor. You’ll find yourself spooning it over your salmon every single time!
I recently made it to serve with my baked salmon in foil and made it again with this easy sheet pan garlic butter salmon dinner. Everyone in my family LOVED it, so this amazing recipe is here to stay and I’m sharing it with you today!
If you’re looking for something a little different, try this homemade basil pesto, or make this classic tartar sauce.
To make this creamy sauce, here’s what you’ll need:
Complete list of ingredients and amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Greek yogurt, sour cream, or creme fraiche. This will be the base of your cream sauce.
- Fresh herbs: I like to use dill and chives, but you can add more fresh herbs if you like. If you don’t have fresh herbs, substitute with dried herbs.
- Garlic: A little bit of minced or crushed fresh garlic to add a little bit of spice or sharpness to the sauce.
- Wholegrain mustard is what makes this sauce so special, but it can be substituted with Dijon mustard or even prepared horseradish.
- Honey to sweeten the sauce up, optional and can be substituted with any other sweetener such as maple syrup.
- Lemon juice: To add tanginess and brightness to the sauce.
- Salt and pepper.
How to Make Sauce for Salmon
This is so simple, to make this creamy garlic sauce all you need is to whisk everything together!
- Combine. In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients and whisk until well combined. Or add all of the ingredients to a clean jar, cover with the lid, and shake until well combined.
- Serve. Spoon over cooked salmon.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container or a sealed jar in the fridge for up to 3 days. This sauce is meant to be served at room temperature, so you don’t need to warm it up but let it come to room temperature before serving.
This herb cream sauce is very versatile, you can add other flavorings that you like. Below are a few suggestions:
- Cheese: Add a little grated parmesan cheese for a cheesy flavor.
- Roasted garlic: If you’re not a fan of raw garlic, try roasted garlic instead. It’s not as pungent as raw garlic, and will add some sweetness to your sauce.
- Add some spice: You can add some red pepper flakes, or cajun seasoning to add more flavor and spice.
What To Serve With Salmon Cream Sauce
This sauce recipe is perfect for salmon, but it’s also great with other fish recipes, shrimp, and even chicken! Here are a few ideas:
- Salmon! I have so many delicious salmon recipes on the blog, if you can get your hands on a whole side of salmon or smaller salmon filets try my Baked Salmon recipe. This easy Sheet Pan Salmon is a life saver on busy weeknights, or try my Air Fryer Salmon recipe and serve it with a side of Lemon pasta.
- For an easy fish dinner that you can make in just 20 minutes, try this Lemon Baked Cod recipe. Serve it with mashed potatoes, green beans, and a simple tossed green salad. You’ll also love Lemon Butter Baked Tilapia and my Pan-Seared Tilapia recipe!
- If you love shrimp, try this simple Baked Shrimp recipe, or make Air Fryer Shrimp instead.
- Try it with chicken. I love serving this cream sauce with Grilled Chicken it’s absolutely delicious! You should also try this classic and easy Roast Chicken, or Dutch Oven Roast Chicken.
I hope that you enjoy this salmon cream sauce as much as my family does. If you try it, please share your experience with me in the comments below!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest!
Cream Sauce For Salmon
- ¾ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill chopped
- salt and pepper
- In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- Serve over cooked salmon.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
© Little Sunny Kitchen
Leave a Review!