Soft coconut shortbread cookies baked with a hint of lemon and toasted coconut! A batch of 25 cookies requires just 30 minutes to make start to finish!
SHORTBREAD COCONUT COOKIES
I’ve been meant to share this cookie recipe with you for ages now, but never got around to it. These buttery, full of flavour cookies are one of my all time favourite homemade cookies. I usually make them for cookie exchanges, or when I want to give someone a homemade gift with for a special occasion or without!
Every time I baked these for a cookie exchange, or to give as a gift, I was always asked for the recipe. The recipe is actually my Mum’s, she has been making these cookies for years. My Mum loves cooking and baking, and she’s the kind of person who will always offer you some lovely homemade baked goods with tea if you go to my parents house for a visit.
These cookies are very soft, so I always make sure that they’re well packed before I take them anywhere or give them to anyone. Otherwise, they will just turn into a mess of crumbles, that is how soft they are. But I promise if you pack them well, they are sturdy and will hold the shape very well.
These cookies are made with my Jamie Oliver Fluted Cookie Cutters, it’s a set of 5 wonderful cookie cutters of different sizes. The cookie cutters are stainless steel with rounded top rims for comfort when pressing, they are nested neatly to save storage which reminds of the Russian doll concept and that’s great for people with small kitchens like mine.
Now back to the cookies, this recipe that I’m sharing with you makes around 25 cookies, but I suggest that you make a double or even a triple batch as these are SO good and 25 cookies is definitely not enough. They are so light and delicious so you will eat many of these cookies without even noticing!
The cookies are great on their own, but I love the chocolate coconut combination so I always drizzle the cookies with melted chocolate and sprinkle with toasted shredded coconut.
I like to make these coconut cookies during autumn/winter when the weather gets cold outside and you need something to cheer you up. A splash of tropical goodness definitely does brighten up your day a little!
And since the holidays are not so far away, I have 2 gift suggestions for you. 1) Bake a batch of these delicious cookies, wrap them up nicely in a cute little box with a ribbon and give this wonderful homemade gift to someone that you love. Or 2) Looking for a gift for someone who loves baking? These cookie cutters are must-haves in a kitchen of someone who enjoys baking.
Coconut Shortbread Cookies
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut toasted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter 2 sticks cold butter – cut into 1-tablespoon pieces
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate melted
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut toasted
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Combine coconut, sugar, lemon juice, flour and vanilla extract in a food processor. Pulse a few times until combined.
- Add the butter and pulse more until dough is combined and smooth. The dough will be a bit dry but that’s okay. Lightly knead the dough until smooth, but if the dough is still too dry you can add a tbsp of water.
- Shape dough into a ball, and roll out on a lightly floured surface. Cut out cookies using the cookie cutters.
- Place cutouts on parchment paper on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack, when completely chilled drizzle with melted chocolate and sprinkle with toasted shredded coconut.