Delicious and delicate Middle Eastern cookies that melt in your mouth…
These cookies have the ability to transport me back to my childhood. There is something about their creamy like texture and the way they just melt in your mouth. It’s incredible! I remember having these cookies around since I was a little kid, either store bought or home baked by my Mum. And we still bake or buy them from the store from time to time. They come in different shapes, but the taste is always amazing!
Ghraybeh is incredibly easy to make. It consists of only a few ingredients. Once you try them you will fall in love! The ingredients are: butter or ghee, flour, powdered sugar, and pistachios! To bake these tasty middle eastern cookies you start off by mixing the butter/ghee with the powdered sugar using your hand, then add the flour and mix until it’s well combined. The dough should be nice and soft that it doesn’t stick to your hands (If you like vanilla you can add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract to the mixture). Place the dough ball in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for about an hour. If you decide to use butter, then you have to brown the butter by placing it in a saucepan on medium heat until the butter is golden in colour, let it cool for 5 minutes then combine with the powdered sugar.
Take the dough out of the refrigerator and let it rest for 10-15 minutes. Gently knead the dough for a few seconds. Start shaping dough balls that weight about 6 grams each, place on wax paper on a baking tray, flatten and press a pistachio into each cookie! Bake for 10-15 minutes at 150C. But be careful not to burn the cookies as the indicated temperature depends on the type of oven you are using, and these cookies could be burnt easily if the oven is too hot! To make sure that they’re ready to come out the oven, check the bottom of a cookie, it should be golden in colour!
After taking the cookies out of the oven, make sure to give them enough time to cool down because the cookies are very delicate and can break easily. Serve with a cup of unsweetend tea or coffee and enjoy!
- 60 grams powdered sugar but this depends on how sweet do you like them, if you in general like sweet cookies, then add 40 more grams
- 125 grams ghee/butter
- 250 grams all purpose flour
- First you need to mix the ghee/butter with the powdered sugar by hand. Then add the flour to the mixture and mix until it's well combined. The dough should be nice and soft and should not stick to your hands.
- Place the dough ball into a bowl, cover with a plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- After you take it out of the refrigerator, let it rest for 15 minutes. Gently knead the dough for a few seconds and start shaping dough balls (each should approximately weight about 6 grams), place it on wax paper on a baking tray, flatten it using your hand and press a pistachio into each cookie.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 150c for 10-15 minutes (but this depends on what kind of oven do you use, when done the bottom of the cookies should be golden in colour but be careful as these cookies burn very easily).
- Make sure you give the cookies enough time to cool down because they're very delicate and are easy to break.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I personally have never tried making these cookies with butter but I know that butter should work as well. * Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links which means that I will earn a small commission if you purchase through those links, I have used all of the products that listed and recommend them because I liked them.