Delicious and delicate Middle Eastern cookies that melt in your mouth…
Ghraybeh (Middle Eastern Shortbread Cookies)
- 60 grams powdered sugar but this depends on how sweet do you like them, if you in general like sweet cookies, then add 40 more grams
- 125 grams ghee/butter
- 250 grams all purpose flour
- First you need to mix the ghee/butter with the powdered sugar by hand. Then add the flour to the mixture and mix until it's well combined. The dough should be nice and soft and should not stick to your hands.
- Place the dough ball into a bowl, cover with a plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- After you take it out of the refrigerator, let it rest for 15 minutes. Gently knead the dough for a few seconds and start shaping dough balls (each should approximately weight about 6 grams), place it on wax paper on a baking tray, flatten it using your hand and press a pistachio into each cookie.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 150c for 10-15 minutes (but this depends on what kind of oven do you use, when done the bottom of the cookies should be golden in colour but be careful as these cookies burn very easily).
- Make sure you give the cookies enough time to cool down because they're very delicate and are easy to break.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
I personally have never tried making these cookies with butter but I know that butter should work as well.
* Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links which means that I will earn a small commission if you purchase through those links, I have used all of the products that listed and recommend them because I liked them.