A delicious and super easy chicken pot pie made with puff pastry and vegetables. A perfect recipe for a weeknight meal!
Summer is over and the weather is getting cold and gloomy. And this kind of weather makes me crave a good warm hearty meal that comes straight from the oven!
This recipe is very easy especially that it’s made with ready made puff pastry, and the filling is also very simple. My parents, brother and nephew came over for lunch yesterday and this was one of the dishes that was put on the table and everybody loved it!
I love the fact that you can just throw everything in a one big pie pan and then slice it up for the whole family! This recipe is also suitable for freezing, which helps a lot for those with full time jobs or busy mothers with children. As I have a full time job, it’s difficult to cook dinners from scratch after getting back home from work. I’d usually be starving and just want to enjoy a nice meal and get some rest. So what I started doing is cooking a few meals over the weekend and freezing them. This worked well for me because on a weekday when I get home from work I just pop the frozen homemade meal in the oven for 15-20 minutes and it comes out just as if the meal has just been cooked! Delicious and warm straight from the oven!
This is very easy, I start cooking the chicken: I boil water and throw 2 chicken breasts in there, along with 2 bay leaves, black pepper, a pinch of salt and a cinnamon stick. And I let it cook with lid closed for approximately 20 minutes or until the chicken is soft. I then shred the chicken using 2 forks or a fork and a knife.
For the filling I use cream, milk, chicken broth, cooked chicken, and cooked veggies of course. I add mushrooms, carrots, onions, and corn… You can also add peas but my brother does not like them so I skipped adding them this time. Adding broccoli might also be a good idea!
I let the frozen puff pastry thaw at room temperature, or I usually just transfer it from the freezer to the fridge to let it thaw overnight. I use vegetable oil to grease the baking dish, and then I lay the baking dish with puff pastry sheets as shown in the picture above. Afterwards, I pour the chicken mixture, cover with more puff pastry and bake!
- 2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 red onion sliced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ tbsp salt
- ¼ tbsp black pepper
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 egg beaten with a fork
- Allow puff pastry to thaw at room temperature if frozen.
- To cook chicken, throw the chicken breasts in boiling water along with salt, pepper, bay leaves, a cinnamon stick, and a chicken stock cube. Let it cook until soft. Then shred using a fork.
- Melt the butter in a medium sized pan or pot on medium heat, and add onion and carrot, sauté until tender. Sprinkle flour on vegetables and cook for 1 more minute.
- Whisk in milk, cream, and 1/2 cup of chicken broth (from the cooked chicken), bring to boil and let simmer on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken. Turn down the heat and add mushrooms, corn, salt and pepper.
- Spray the baking dish with cooking oil, lay with a puff pastry sheet.
- Pour chicken mixture over the puff pastry, and again lay puff pastry on top (you can use puff pastry strips and form a lattice pattern).
- Beat the egg and brush egg the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes on 200c.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
© Little Sunny Kitchen