The best ever beef stroganoff! This is my Mum’s recipe (and my Mum is Russian too!).
Beef Stroganoff – the ultimate comfort food! It’s one of these Russian classics that have been cooked in every Russian home for decades now. It’s basically pieces or strips of beef sauteed and served with a creamy sauce. The original recipe is very simple, and doesn’t come with onions or mushrooms. But with time, many variations of the recipe appeared including beef stroganoff served with rice or pasta.
The version that I’m sharing with you today is my Mum’s version. It comes with mushrooms and onions, cooked in beef bullion, and cream. We usually serve this dish with mashed potatoes (and that’s also my favourite way to eat it). But you can serve this with pasta or rice.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 200 grams mushrooms
- 500 grams beef steak
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- Start by slicing the onions, mushrooms, and the steak into strips.
- Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat, then add the onions and saute along with the mushrooms until soft and tender. Add the steak strips and saute until browned.
- Add water, beef stock cube, the bay leaf, salt and pepper. cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Minutes before the cooking is done, add the heavy cream (at this point you can add uncooked pasta if you wish), give it a stir and close the lid. You can also add the cream along with all of the other ingredients, but I usually add it before the last 10 minutes.
- Let it cook for 10 more minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, pasta or rice.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
© Little Sunny Kitchen