If you’re making fish tacos, you must make this tasty fish taco slaw to go with them! A creamy cabbage slaw for fish tacos is easy to make and packed with flavor.
A fresh fish taco from a restaurant or a cart is one of the most amazing things you can eat if you’re visiting the Southwest or Mexico. Unlike traditional American-style tacos, fish tacos are almost always served topped with a creamy sauce and shredded cabbage.
The mix of textures from the tender fish, crunchy veggies, and creamy sauce makes fish tacos amazing! I can’t make fish tacos without this slaw, and luckily it’s super easy to throw together!
You can also enjoy this coleslaw as a side dish! Red Cabbage Slaw is another simple slaw that you’ll love.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Crunch – Fresh cabbage and carrots add amazing texture to fish tacos. This slaw is creamy, crunchy, sweet, and flavorful – the perfect taco topping.
- Quick and Easy – Just toss all of your ingredients in a bowl and give it a stir. No actual cooking is required!
- Versatile Recipe – This salsa is absolutely perfect for Salmon Tacos, Shrimp Tacos, or any other fish tacos you want to make. It’s also a delicious topping for non-fish tacos, or a side dish with grilled meats or seafood.
Ingredients In Slaw for Fish Tacos
This super simple taco topping uses a handful of fresh, easy to find ingredients.
Complete list of ingredients and amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Greek Yogurt and Mayonnaise: While we could just use one or the other, I find that a combination of half tangy yogurt and half creamy mayo gives this slaw the best flavor.
- Lime Juice: Use the juice from a medium-sized lime, or about 2 tablespoons.
- Cumin, Salt, and Black Pepper: These simple seasonings make this coleslaw perfect for fish tacos!
- Cabbage: A mix of both green and red cabbage gives the slaw visual interest. Shred the cabbage with a sharp knife, a mandoline slicer, or use a food processor.
- Carrot: Grated carrot adds another texture and a bit of sweetness.
- Cilantro: For a bright, herbal finish. Chop the cilantro leaves coarsely.
How To Make Slaw for Fish Tacos
- Mix the dressing: In a large bowl, combine Greek yogurt with mayonnaise, lime juice, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Make the Slaw: Add shredded cabbage, grated carrots, and cilantro to the bowl with the dressing. Toss with your hands or tongs until the slaw is well coated.
Save time by using pre-shredded cabbage! Six cups of coleslaw mix works perfectly.
- Make it Spicy: Diced jalapeno pepper can be added to this fish taco slaw if you’d like it to have some heat.
- Use the right tools: A mandoline slicer does a great job of shredding both carrots and cabbage. I use this slicer from OXO, on the thinnest setting
- Try it with homemade mayo: This recipe for homemade mayonnaise is easy to make and completely delicious.
Fish taco slaw is truly best just after mixing it up. Freshly made, this slaw is crisp and perfect.
You can store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for 2-3 days if needed.
How to Make Fish Tacos with Slaw
You will of course want to try this slaw with fish tacos! Check out my Salmon Tacos recipe, or follow this simple formula:
Cook Fish: Fry, bake, or grill your favorite fish (salmon, tilapia, and cod are all good choices) with a southwestern seasoning blend, or just some salt and pepper.
Make Fish Tacos: Add cooked fish to warm corn or flour tortillas. Top with fish taco slaw. Add a squeeze of lime juice, and sliced radishes if you like.
What to Serve with Fish Taco Slaw
Sometimes when you order fish tacos, they are served with plain shredded cabbage and a creamy sauce, usually a lime crema. Here we combined the two to make a slaw! If you like, mix up the sauce ingredients and serve the sauce on the side.
If you don’t like cilantro, then leave it out! You can substitute with fresh parsley leaves if you like too.
Cabbage is a sturdier veggie than lettuce is, so it won’t wilt or get soft when you add it to hot taco fillings!
Sour cream is a great substitution for greek yogurt in sauces like this one!
Keep this recipe handy! Pin it or print it so you can make the best slaw for your favorite fish tacos whenever you want to.
- Mandoline Slicer or a food processor, or a sharp knife to shred the vegetables.
- ¼ cup (60g) plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- ¼ cup (60g) mayonnaise
- 1 lime juiced. (about 2 tablespoons lime juice)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage see note 1
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage see note 1
- ⅓ cup grated carrot see note 1
- ⅓ cup cilantro leaves lightly packed, then chopped coarsely
- In a large bowl, combine greek yogurt with mayonnaise, lime juice, cumin, salt and pepper.
- To the dressing, add shredded cabbage, carrot, and cilantro. Toss with your hands or tongs until the slaw is well coated with dressing.
- In place of the shredded cabbages and carrots, use 6 cups of pre-packaged coleslaw mix.
- Diced jalapeno pepper can be added to this fish taco slaw if you’d like it to have some heat.
- Make some homemade mayonnaise if you have the time. It’s amazing!
- To Store: You can keep leftovers of this slaw in the fridge for up to 2 days, however, it’s best enjoyed right away after adding the dressing.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
© Little Sunny Kitchen