An interesting layered salad that every Russian grew up with!
People usually mistake this for a cake or some kind of dessert! What you see in the picture above is probably the most popular Russian salad, and it can be found on nearly every Russian household’s New Year Eve’s dinner table! Mum made this salad ever since I can remember, she makes this for every birthday, holiday, and as I mentioned before on New Year’s Eve! In Russia, It’s called “Seliodka pod Shuboi” which is translated to “Herring under fur coat”, but don’t worry we won’t be making a fur coat here, it’s just a salad made from layers of cooked vegetables (potato, carrot, onion, and of course beets!), onion, herring, and thin layers of mayonnaise!
It’s usually made from salted herring, so it would need to be soaked it in water overnight, bones and skin need to be removed, but you can buy herring that’s already boneless. Potatoes and carrots can be cooked together in boiling water until soft (about 20 minutes), and beets have to be cooked separately also in boiling water until soft (about 1.5 hours). All vegetables will be then peeled, and grated in a small sized grater. The salad will be then assembled as in instructions below with spreading thin mayonnaise layers.
This salad might sound a little bit strange to you, but once you try you might like it if you like fish as it’s very delicious.
Russian Herring Under Fur Coat Layered Salad
- 150-200 grams herring fillet
- 2 medium beet roots
- 2 large potatoes
- 3 carrots shredded
- 1 onion
- 1 1/4 cups 300 grams mayonnaise
- white vinegar
- chopped scallions to decorate
- Cook the carrots and the potatoes in boiling water until soft (about 20 minutes), then grate using a small grater.
- Cook the beets in boiling water as well, until soft (about 1.5 hours), then grate using a small grater. If too liquid is produced you can pat dry using a paper towel if you don't want a soggy salad.
- Finely chop the onion, and pour hot water on it, then get rid off the water. Again pour cold water on it, and get rid off it. This will help you get rid of the bitter taste. Pour white vinegar on it and keep it for 5 minutes, then again wash with hot water and then get rid off it.
- Take a huge plate preferably round, and start layering the salad. Layer half of the beets on the plate, then layer half of the shredded potatoes, and then layer a thin layer of mayonnaise.
- Layer all of the onions, and again layer with a thin layer of mayonnaise.
- Cut the herring fillets in pieces, and layer all of it.
- Layer with the other half of the potatoes followed by thin a layer of mayonnaise.
- Layer all of the carrots, followed by a thin layer of mayonnaise. And then the rest of the beets followed by more mayonnaise. Make a pattern with the mayonnaise using a fork.
- Decorate with greens, I decorated with chopped scallions.
- Refrigerate overnight, and serve on the next day.