Easy Grilled shrimp skewers where shrimp is marinated in a lovely garlic, lemon and paprika marinade then threaded on wooden skewers and cooked on a grill to perfection! This recipe is perfect for a summer barbecue gathering!
As promised in my previous posts, more BBQ and grilling recipes and tips are coming your way. It’s the BBQ season after all and with this hot weather, this is what we’ve been doing every single evening for the past few days! Plus, who wants to spend the day inside cooking by the hob or oven, when you can take everything outdoors to a grill or a BBQ in your backyard or in the nearby park. It’s a fun activity to cook outdoors in the fresh air especially when you’re doing it with friends or family.
BBQ VS GRILLING
Now you might be thinking, is there really a difference between a barbecue and a grill? Or a difference between barbecuing and grilling?
Yes, there is and most people don’t know what the difference is!
When you are barbecuing, you are cooking with a lid closed which means that the heat is coming from all around the source and is slowly cooking your food.
When you are grilling, there is no lid and the food is being cooked from the bottom.
EASY GRILLED SHRIMP SKEWERS
Today, I’m sharing something that’s a bit different. I opted for something easy and quick, yet healthy and delicious. I marinated some shrimps in garlic, lemon juice, and paprika, threaded them on skewers then grilled them and they turned out to be extremely delicious.
GRILLED SHRIMP MARINADE
This marinade is really simple. I just combined all of my favorite flavors in a bowl, threw in the shrimps and left them to marinate. You will need to marinate the shrimps for at least 15 minutes, and up to 2 hours. I like to leave the shrimps to absorb all of the lovely flavors for longer, so I usually leave them for an hour or 2.
For the marinade, you will need the following ingredients:
Garlic paste or minced garlic
Crushed red chili
Apple cider vinegar
Mix the marinade ingredients in a small bowl until combined.
To marinate the shrimps, make sure that the shrimps are peeled and deveined (you can either remove the tails or leave them).
Then place in a small bowl along with the marinade, or in a ziploc bag and seal. Marinate for at least 15 minutes or up to 2 hours.
HOW DO YOU GRILL SHRIMP?
You have to be a bit careful when you grill the shrimps, as they cook really quickly! Preheat your grill, then place your shrimp skewers on the grill and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until they’re pink and cooked through. The whole grilling process should not take more than 5 minutes.
But the time also depends on what sort of grill you are using, the size of your shrimps and what temperature are you cooking at.
Do not overcook the shrimp, as you might end up with a chewey and rubbery texture.
DO YOU LEAVE THE TAILS ON OR REMOVE THEM?
You can either leave the tails on or remove them, I usually remove them just because that makes them easier to eat especially if I’m feeding kids. But for presentation purposes, you can leave the tails on as they looked nicer like that.
TOP GRILLING TIPS FOR GRILLING SHRIMP
- Oil the grill using an oiled paper towel before grilling the food to keep it from sticking. You don’t want to leave half of your food stuck to the grill.
- Always soak your bamboo skewers in water for at least 30 minutes to prevent burning.
- Keep the temperature between 275f and 300f.
- Once the shrimp turns pink and isn’t transparent, remove from the grill as overcooking might result in a rubbery texture.
MORE GRILLING RECIPES
If you make this recipe, please don’t forget to rate it and share a picture on social media. Tag #LittleSunnyKitchen in your posts as I would really love to see what you make! Thank you for supporting Little Sunny Kitchen, so I can keep sharing my family recipes with you for free.
Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- 600 grams shrimps
- 100 grams cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp crushed red chilli
- 1 tsp garlic paste or crushed garlic
- 1/4 cup parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp apple vinegar
- bamboo skewers
- If using frozen shrimps, then take the shrimps out of the freezer and thaw.
- To make the marinade: In a small bowl, combine all ingredients excluding shrimp and cherry tomatoes. Mix until well combined.
- When shrimps are defrosted, marinate them in the marinade for at least 15 minutes and up to 2 hours. Either in a bowl, or in a sealed ziploc bag.
- Thread shrimps on wooden skewers with the cherry tomatoes.
- Preheat the grill, and cook on both sides until shrimps are cooked through (2-3 minutes on each side). This shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.