Super easy 15-minute creamy tomato pasta made with just 7 ingredients! This plant-based quick dinner is so easy to make, and perfect for busy week-night dinners!
I love quick and easy pasta dishes. Pasta isn’t complicated, you know, carbs always taste good no matter how you decide to prepare them or what you serve them with. Here’s my recipe for the easiest creamy pasta ever, and you’re gonna love it!
It’s made with whole wheat pasta, tomato, cream, garlic, and basil. What’s not to love?
Creamy tomato pasta ingredients
To make this pasta, you will need:
- Pasta – you can use any type of pasta that you like but I usually go for whole wheat pasta as it’s healthier. Choose short pasta shapes such as penne or fusilli.
- Extra virgin olive oil – I normally use olive oil for the taste that it gives, but if you would like to keep this oil-free then saute the onion and the garlic with a dash of water.
- Onion and garlic.
- Chopped tomatoes – Either choose canned chopped tomatoes or if you have fresh tomatoes, then chop them up and use them.
- Salt and pepper.
- Heavy or double cream – I use soy cream, but it’s your choice to either go for dairy or non-dairy cream as both options will work here.
- Fresh basil leaves – probably the best part about this pasta is the basil leaves, I love them as they give lots of freshness and flavor and they go so well with tomatoes.
How to cook pasta?
You will want to cook pasta until al dente, which means until it’s cooked but still firm (slightly undercooked). Fill a saucepan or a pot with water, bring to a boil and salt it. Add pasta, and cook uncovered for around 10 minutes stirring once halfway through to avoid sticking.
You do not need to add any oil to the water to cook pasta. Once it’s cooked, drain it.
How to make the creamy tomato sauce?
- To make the tomato sauce, heat olive oil in a pan/pot/saucepan and cook the diced onion until it’s soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute or until it’s fragrant.
- Add a can of chopped tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Lower the heat, and stir in the cream.
- Drain pasta and toss it gently with the sauce and chopped basil leaves. Serve warm and enjoy!
Adding more veggies to the creamy tomato pasta
This is a very simple pasta recipe, and it’s made with very basic ingredients. However, you can make things more exciting by adding things that you love such as:
- Mushrooms (saute them with the onion)
- Sundried tomatoes for extra flavour and texture.
- Grilled vegetables, you can courgette, red onion, bell peppers.
- Black olives, pit and slice them.
- Extra protein, such as cooked chickpeas, baked tofu, or seitan.
Looking for more easy pasta recipes? Try:
- Easy one-pot pasta
- Caprese pasta bake
- Instant Pot broccoli mac and cheese
- Kid-friendly pasta salad
- Mushroom risotto
- 2 cups 200 grams whole wheat pasta penne or similar shapes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can chopped tomatoes or 1 cup fresh chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup 120 ml heavy cream I used soy cream
- 3 tbsp fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Cook the pasta in salted water until al dente (about 10 minutes) or according to the package instructions.
- Meanwhile, in a pot, heat olive oil and saute the onion until it's soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add chopped tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and cook for 4-5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, and stir in the cream.
- Drain pasta and toss it gently with the sauce and basil leaves. Serve warm and enjoy!
- For some spiciness, sprinkle with red chili flakes.
- You can use fresh tomatoes instead of canned if you wish. Just add 1 cup of chopped fresh tomatoes.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
© Little Sunny Kitchen