Easy vegan apple pie made from scratch! It requires very simple staple ingredients, and can be ready in under an hour!
I love the apple season, for me, it means baking and cooking with lots of apples. My parents have 2 apple trees in their garden, and these trees are very generous. We end up giving away so many apples to our neighbours every year, even after making our own apple cinnamon jam!
Vegan Apple Pie
I never thought that I could bake a vegan apple pie, but in fact, it’s quite simple and you won’t notice a difference between the vegan and the non-vegan version. The apple pie is filled with a creamy custard-like apple filling, it uses semolina to create a cream-like texture.
How to Make Apple Pie Filling
Homemade apple pie filling is one of these things that I make every Autumn, and end up eating it straight from the jar with a spoon. It tastes way better than canned apple pie filling, and it’s very easy to make. Apple pie filling is great for not just pies, but also for quick Autumn side dishes, or even to use as a spread on toast (seriously, try this!).
To make the homemade apple pie filling:
Step 1. Wash, peel, and either shred or cut apples in chunks.
Step 2. Toss apples with lemon juice. (This step is optional, but prevents the apples from turning to brown)
Step 3. In a saucepan, combine sugar with cinnamon, nutmeg if using, vanilla extract and cornstarch or semolina. If you want a creamier texture, then add semolina instead of cornstarch.
Step 4. Stir the mixture to combine. Let it boil for a couple of minutes while stirring. Then add the apples, and cook for 10 more minutes while stirring.
Step 5. If making a pie, then let the mixture cool down for a few minutes before using. It will thicken as it cools down.
Step 6. It’s best to store the apple pie filling in jars if not using right away. Pour the mixture in jars and allow to cool down, then refrigerate.
Vegan Apple Pie Ingredients
Baking a vegan apple pie is much simpler than you think, it requires very simple ingredients and it’s very easy to make.
You will need:
- Soda water (or any neutral fizzy drink)
- Non-dairy butter
- Granulated sugar
- Lemon juice
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- A pinch of salt
- Homemade apple pie filling
How to Make a Vegan Apple Pie
After you make the apple pie filling, you will start making the dough.
- Preheat oven to 180C, and grease a 9-inch (20cm) springform with nondairy butter.
- To make the dough, in a mixing bowl combine soda water with nondairy butter, granulated sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Sift the flour with baking powder, then add to the rest of the ingredients. Mix everything together until you get a well-combined dough. Cover with cling wrap and cool in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two halves, then in a greased springform spread one half of the dough. Pierce with a fork in a few places.
- Pour all of the apple pie filling over the dough and spread it evenly.
- Spread the other half of the dough that’s left over the apple pie filling, and pierce with a fork in a few random places.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top becomes golden. To serve, let it cool down completely. Sprinkle with caster sugar, cut into slices and serve.
Looking for a classic Apple Pie Recipe? I have one!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest!
Vegan apple pie
For the cake:
- 250 ml soda water
- 120 ml non dairy butter plus extra for greasing
- (150g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- (500g) all purpose flour
For the filling:
- 2 pounds (900g) apples
- (150g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon fine semolina
To make the filling:
- Wash, peel and shred the apples.
- In a saucepan cook the apples with the sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract and semolina. Keep stirring for 10 minutes while the mixture is being cooked. Remove from heat and let cool down.
To make the cake:
- In a medium bowl, add mineral water, melted butter, granulated sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract and salt. Keep stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Sift flour with baking powder, and add to the wet ingredients. Mix until well comined. Cover with cling film, and cool in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two halves. In a greased springform (20cm or 9-inch wide), add the first half of the dough and spread it. Pierce with a fork. Followed by the apple filling, and the other half of the dough left. Pierce with a fork in a few places.
- Bake in a preheated oven 180°C, and bake for 25-30 minutes until the top is golden.
- Let the pie cool down completely, sprinkle with caster sugar and serve.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
© Little Sunny Kitchen
Leave a Review!