Ham salad is the perfect way to use up leftover holiday ham, or maybe it is the perfect excuse to make a ham – so that you can make this delicious sandwich spread! Either way, Ham Salad is very easy to make and I’m going to show you exactly how to do it.
Just like chicken salad, turkey salad, or tuna salad, ham salad is made from chopped meat mixed with mayonnaise. The other ingredients in ham salad can vary from cook to cook and from region to region, but I am partial to my recipe for a few reasons:
First, this recipe is incredibly simple. 5 ingredients, plus salt and pepper are all you need to make this delicious ham spread. This is not a fancy ham salad recipe, it’s just the basic one, and it’s kind of perfect just this way.
Second, I love delicious recipes that allow me to use up leftovers. This is the best way to use up leftover Glazed Ham from your holiday celebrations. It will work with any flavor or style of ham that you make, even a Pineapple Glazed Ham.
If you’re looking for another great recipe to make with leftover ham, try this Ham and Bean Soup or this Ham and Potato Soup. Instant pot split pea soup is another delicious way to enjoy leftovers.
Complete list of ingredients and amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Cooked Ham – Leftover holiday ham from Easter or Christmas is perfect to make this recipe. You can also use any type of ham that you find at the store to make ham salad at other times of the year. Start with your ham already diced into cubes.
- Celery – This crispy veggie provides the perfect amount of crunch.
- Mayonnaise, Dijon Mustard, and Relish – To make a creamy and flavorful dressing. Sweet pickle relish is the one you want for ham salad.
How to Make Ham Salad
You are going to love making ham salad in the food processor!
- Mince Ham: Add the diced ham to a food processor and pulse until finely minced.
- Add the Other Ingredients: In a large bowl, combine the minced ham with mayo, mustard, and relish. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve: Ham salad goes great with crackers, or you can make it into delicious sandwiches.
Variations on Ham Salad
There are many different ways to make your ham salad perfect for you. Try adding any of these common ham salad ingredients.
- Dill pickles or dill relish – You can choose to use sweet relish or dill relish in your ham salad. Some recipes even put pieces of chopped pickles in too.
- Chopped onion, bell pepper, or other fresh veggies.
- Spicy Mustard, Miracle Whip, Barbecue Sauce, or any flavorful sauce or dressing that you think would taste good with ham.
- Fresh chopped herbs like parsley or cilantro.
- Lemon Juice or a splash of vinegar.
Easy Sandwich Recipes
Try one of these when you need inspiration for a simple lunch or dinner.
- Reuben Sandwich with Russian Dressing
- Copycat Popeye’s Chicken Sandwich
- Italian Beef Sandwiches
- Cucumber Tea Sandwiches (or use the recipe to make ham salad tea sandwiches!)
Store your ham salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Believe it or not, ham salad freezes very well. Keep it frozen for up to 2 months in an airtight container. It’s best to freeze it immediately after mixing.
My recipe for ham salad does not call for eggs, but I’ve seen other people make ham salad with chopped hard-boiled eggs added in and it looks great! Feel free to add anything you like to your ham salad, there really are no rules when it comes to this recipe.
Yes, ham steaks are perfect for turning into ham salad. Any cooked ham will work in this recipe.
You’ll enjoy this easy ham salad recipe on sandwiches or just dip into it with some buttery crackers for a simple snack. Pin it so you can find it later!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest!
- 1 pound cooked ham finely diced
- ¾ cup finely diced celery
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard or prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons sweet relish
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crackers for serving
- Add the diced ham to a food processor and pulse until finely minced but does not become a paste.
- In a large bowl, combine the minced ham with mayo, mustard, relish, and lemon juice if using. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Ham salad goes great with crackers, or you can make it into delicious sandwiches.
- Store your ham salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Freezing. Keep it frozen for up to 2 months in an airtight container. It’s best to freeze it immediately after mixing.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
© Little Sunny Kitchen
Leave a Review!