Mujaddara is a Middle Eastern lentil rice dish. It’s healthy, vegan and delicious!
In the Middle East people tend to include meat and poultry in their everyday diet, so meat and poultry tend to be the main ingredient of almost every meal. This healthy vegan meal substitutes animal protein with plant protein coming from brown lentils. It may look like it’s a bit complicated but trust me, this dish is very easy to make and is ready in no time!
There are 3 kinds of lentils: Brown lentils, red lentils, and green lentils. For this recipe, we are using brown lentils and now I’m going to tell you why are they good for you. Lentils have many health benefits, they are high in protein, low in cholesterol, low in calories and full of nutrients, they improve digestion, a healthy heart, help with weight loss, prevent cancer, a solution for anemia, and are good for pregnant women. Do you need more reasons to start including lentils in your diet? 🙂
This dish is one of my family favourites, it is filling, delicious, and is suitable for summer days as well as those cold winter days! It is usually eaten with plain natural yogurt, a simple salad, and pickles! Oh and it’s topped with caramelised onions YUM!
And the best part? I took this recipe from my Mum!! Try it and enjoy the wonderful taste!
A lovely Middle Eastern dish made with green lentils, rice and topped with caramelised onions
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 6 servingsPrint Recipe
- 1 cup dried brown lentils or green lentils
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 onions chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2-3 cups water
- 1 tsp cumin
- Rinse lentils with cold water.
- In a medium sized pot add the lentils and the water and bring to boil.
- Cover the pot, turn the heat down to simmer until lentils are tender but not mushy. (stir occasionally) add salt and cumin.
- Wash rice and add it to lentils. Add water to cover the rice and cook on low heat until the water is gone.
- In a saucepan saute onions in olive oil until completely softened and caramelised.
- Add half of the caramelised onions into cooked lentils and rice. Use the other half to top your dish before serving.
- Serve with natural yogurt and salad.
Calories: 303kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 397mg | Potassium: 400mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 15IU | Vitamin C: 4.1mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 3mg
©LITTLE SUNNY KITCHEN. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any websites or social media is strictly prohibited.