These crispy corn fritters served with cucumber parsley salad and yogurt sauce are bursting with flavor! They make a hearty dinner, breakfast or even snack!
We love corn fritters in my family, they’re quick and easy to make, healthy and delicious! Comfort food at it’s best! These corn fritters only take 25 minutes to prepare and cook, and you will fall in love with how crispy these corn fritters are from the outside, but tender and soft from the inside.
HOW TO MAKE CORN FRITTERS
To make corn cakes or fritters you need the following ingredients:
Corn – I recommend that you use fresh corn kernels, but you could also use frozen or canned corn kernels. For maximum flavor use fresh corn, but for convenience, you can use either frozen or canned corn.
Eggs – eggs are important to hold the mixture together
Onion – for taste and crunch
Flour, baking powder, spices and herbs
And finally, corn oil – I like to use Mazola corn oil because it’s high quality 100% pure corn oil
To make corn fritters, simply add all ingredients to a food processor and make the mixture. The mixture will be sticky and that’s ok. Heat a little bit of corn oil in a frying pan. Then you can either use ice cream scoop or a spoon, and scoop out 2 tablespoons of mixture for each fritter to your frying pan. Or by greasing your hands with a little bit of oil, take 2 tbsp of mixture and create flat patties between your palms. These fritters use the method of shallow frying, and that means that you will have to cook the fritters with a little bit of corn oil for around 3 minutes on one side, then flip over and cook for 2 more minutes.
SERVE CORN FRITTERS WITH CUCUMBER PARSLEY SALAD AND YOGURT SAUCE
You can, of course, serve these corn fritters on their own, but for extra flavor try serving them with this really tasty cucumber parsley salad and yogurt sauce. The cucumber yogurt salad is very light and refreshing, and you can even serve this as a meal, not just an appetizer!
To make the salad and the sauce, simply slice some cucumbers and red onion, add some fresh parsley leaves and make the sauce and the dressing.
To make the yogurt sauce all you need is to combine greek yogurt with lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. And finally make the lemon dressing by mixing corn oil (I used Mazola), with freshly squeezed lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, dried parsley, ground black pepper, and salt.
To serve, divide corn fritters & cucumber parsley salad between 3 plates/bowls. Spoon the yogurt sauce on the corn fritters or use as a dip.
FREEZE AND REHEAT CORN FRITTERS
Corn fritters freeze very well. You can make the corn fritters mixture a day in advance and use it on the next day, this comes very handy when I want to make these corn fritters for breakfast.
Cooked corn cakes can stay in the freezer for up to 3 months. Reheat in your toaster oven or quickly in a pan and enjoy!
MORE TIPS ON HOW TO MAKE CRISPY CORN FRITTERS THAT ARE TENDER AND MOIST FROM THE INSIDE
- Add spices: To add more flavor, feel free to add any dried herbs or spices that you like. You can add cumin, cayenne, garlic and onion powders, smoked paprika or even dried parsley.
- If you feel like the batter is way too sticky, you add a little bit of cornmeal, this will help the mixture hold together and will add a crisp exterior to your corn fritters.
- Use high-quality hot corn oil to fry the corn fritters. Although this is shallow frying, not deep-frying, the oil needs to be hot when you first start cooking the fritters. This will ensure that the fritters turn out crisp from the outside, soft and tender from the inside.
- Depending on the size of your pan, but I usually fry in batches of 5. If you’re using a smaller pan, fry 3 at a time in 3 batches and make sure that your fritters are not touching each other. When frying, gently flatten the fritters with a spoon.
If you make this recipe, please don’t forget to share your feedback with a rating in the comments below. I hope you enjoy!
- 2.5 cups (400 grams) corn kernels
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 red Onion
- 1 cup (125 grams) plain flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons corn oil for frying
- ½ cup 150 grams Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Cucumber Parsley Salad with Lemon Dressing
- 1 cup (100 grams) cucumber sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- ⅓ cup (50 grams) red onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- salt and pepper
Make Corn Fritters
- If using frozen corn kernels, add 2 tablespoons of water to the corn. Cover and cook for 3 minutes in the microwave. If you are using fresh corn, you don't need to do anything before you start making the fritters.
- Place all the ingredients in the food processor and whizz until well mixed. Season with salt and pepper as desired. The mixture will be sticky. Either use an ice-cream scooper to pick the mixture with your hands but make sure to grease your palms with oil. Take 2 tablespoons of mixture between your palms and flatten the fritters into round patties
- Heat the oil in a skillet. And using an ice-cream scooper, drop the fritter mixture onto the skillet. Add 2 more scoops of fritter mixture at a time, slightly spaced. Cook the fritter on medium heat for around 3 minutes, flip over and cook for 2 more minutes. Or until corn fritters are golden brown.
- Repeat the process 2 more times until all the corn fritter mixture is used up.
Make Yogurt Sauce
- Add all the ingredients in small bowl and stir well to combine.
Make Cucumber Parsley Salad with Lemon Dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the lemon dressing until salt and sugar are dissolved. Season well with sea salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, add cucumber, parsley, red onions and lemon dressing. Gently toss to combine.
- Divide corn fritters and cucumber parsley salad between the plates/bowls. Spoon the yogurt sauce on the corn fritters or use as a dip.