Vegan Potato Cakes with Rice
These potato cakes are crispy and lovely from the outside, but super soft from the inside. Super easy to make!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 16 cakes
- 500 grams potatoes russets
- 100 grams 1/2 cup rice
- 2 onions diced
- 2 carrots grated
- 5 tbsp parsley chopped
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- salt to taste
Boil peeled potatoes until soft, and mash them.
Cook the rice.
Saute onions and carrots until they're soft.
In a bowl combine the mashed potatoes with the cooked rice, sauteed carrots and onions, parsley and season with salt to taste. Divide the mixture into 14-16 portions and shape balls then flatten into cakes using your hands.
Fry in vegetable oil until the cakes are golden and crispy (the mixture will be very soft so be careful not to break the cakes while frying). Serve hot.
- If you're boiling potatoes to make these potato fritters or cakes, use a potato ricer or masher to mash them and make sure that there are no lumps left.
- Fully cook the rice before adding it to the mixture.
- Make patties that are not too big. Big patties start to break and won't easily cook through.
- You could add different herbs to the patties, I've added parsley this time but I also add dill or chives sometimes.
- When shallow frying the potato cakes, fry on medium heat until the patties start to crisp as the crispy exterior is what's so special about these potato fritters.
Calories: 54kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 1g | Sodium: 9mg | Potassium: 187mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 1375IU | Vitamin C: 6.6mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 1.2mg