Prep the salmon: pat dry with kitchen towels and season with salt and pepper.
In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
Add salmon to the pan skin side down, working in batches if needed to avoid crowding the pan. Cook for 4-5 minutes then flip and cook for 3-4 more minutes until fully cooked. It should reach a temperature of 140°F/60°C, a thicker cut will take a little longer. Transfer salmon to a plate, cover to keep warm, and set aside.
To make the cream sauce:
Melt the butter and add chopped sundried tomatoes, garlic and cook for 1 minute until the garlic is fragrant. Do not burn the garlic, cook for just 30 seconds.
Adjust the heat to medium-low, and add the heavy cream, Dijon mustard, dried herbs, and the parmesan cheese to the skillet. Allow the sauce to simmer for a couple of minutes and thicken (if too thick, add a splash of water). Season with salt and pepper.
Add the spinach, stir it in and let it wilt in the sauce.
Put the salmon back in the sauce, spoon the sauce over the salmon. Serve warm over pasta, rice, or with steamed veg.
- White deposits. If you notice albumin forming on your fillets (you know, the pockets of white slimy stuff), don’t panic. It’s harmless protein coming to the surface. It just doesn’t look appealing to some people. It can form when your salmon is cooking quickly.
- Add white wine. It can be added to make the cream sauce. After cooking the garlic, add ¼ cup of white wine and deglaze the pan with it.
- Mushrooms can be added to the recipe too. Saute it first in the butter and garlic.
- Substitute heavy cream. Use half and half if that’s what you have. whole milk does not work.
- Consistency. If you find it too thick, add a splash of water.
- The skin on or off? Keep the salmon skin on while you pan-sear salmon. That way it protects it from too much heat as well as helps to keep the shape. If you prefer to serve it skin off, remove it before adding it back into the sauce but it's edible and crispy after searing.
- Cook skin side down first to get a good sear and crispy skin.
Calories: 635kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 44g | Fat: 45g | Saturated Fat: 21g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 15g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 196mg | Sodium: 719mg | Potassium: 1792mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 3611IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 277mg | Iron: 4mg