Over the stovetop:
Prepare the vegetables, then heat 1 tbsp of olive or canola oil in a pot and saute the onion until it's soft and translucent.
Add the garlic, and cook for 1 minute or until it's fragrant. Add the rest of the vegetables, vegetable stock and spices/seasonings. Simmer until the vegetables are soft.
Turn off the heat, and using a hand blender, blend until the soup is smooth.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
- This soup is great for freezing since it's dairy-free! Freeze it in individual servings, and store for up to 6 months.
- If you choose to freeze the soup, then I strongly recommend that you freeze it within 2 hours of cooking covered in an airtight container.
- Frozen swede soup can last for 3-4 days after it has been thawed in the fridge. If it has been thawed in the microwave, then it needs to be eaten immediately after thawing.
- Serve with crusty bread, bread twists, sourdough croutons, focaccia or flatbread!
- For garnish, use cream (I used coconut cream to keep my soup vegan) to create pretty swirls, and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.
- The nutritional values are just rough estimates for 1 portion of soup without using any oil (assuming it was made in the soup maker).
Calories: 54kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 325mg | Potassium: 351mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 5095IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 1mg