Instant Pot Whole Chicken
Cook a whole chicken in the Instant Pot to get rotisserie-style juicy and tender chicken! Easy, quick and delicious.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Servings 1 whole chicken
- 3 lbs whole chicken
- 3 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 onion wedges
- 1 lemon
- 3 rosemary spigs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper
For the rice:
- 2 cups basmati rice or long grain rice
Rinse the chicken and pat it dry with kitchen towels. Lay it on a cutting board, and season it with cajun (or any other seasoning that you like), salt, and pepper and make sure that it's well seasoned from all sides. The seasoning needs to go inside the chicken cavity as well.
On the Instant Pot press on SAUTE and set on 16 minutes. Add oil, and only add the chicken when the Instant Pot displays the HOT message. You want to put the chicken in hot oil. Start by cooking the chicken breast side down.
Flip the chicken and brown the chicken on all four sides (about 4 minutes on each side), then turn off the SAUTE setting.
After browning, squeeze a lemon over the chicken. This won't wash away the seasoning since the chicken was browned.
Stuff the chicken with onion wedges, garlic, lemon (you can use the same lemons that were squeezed over the chicken) and fresh herbs (I use rosemary and thyme), and then secure the chicken with toothpicks as shown in the picture below.
Then add water, you will need 1 cup of water. No need for a trivet or anything.
Press on MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK and set for 25 minutes on high pressure. Allow the Instant Pot to come to pressure, then quickly release the steam once it's done cooking.
Take the chicken out of the Instant Pot, and put on a baking tray if you wish to brown the skin. If not, you can just let it rest for 15 minutes and then carve it.
If you decide to brown it under the broiler, then broil for 5 minutes but keep watching it so it doesn't get burnt.
To cook the rice:
Wash the rice until the water runs clear, then soak it in cold water for 15 minutes. This helps remove any debris and starchy layer, and helps keep the rice from sticking together.
Add it to the chicken broth (the broth should cover the rice by 1 inch) and give it a quick stir, cover with the lid and set the vent on SEALING position. Press on MANUAL or HIGH PRESSURE for 4 minutes, then let the steam naturally release for 15 minutes.
Once the cooking is finished, and the steam is released, carefully open the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve with the chicken.
- Make sure that your chicken fits in your Instant Pot. The largest bird that we could fit in our 6qt was 5lbs.
- This recipe was tested using a 6qt, if you have 8qt Instant Pot then you will need to add 2 cups of water instead of 1.
- If you're not a fan of cajun seasoning, then you can substitute it with jerk seasoning, smoked paprika, dried herbs like rosemary, thyme, and oregano.
- Make sure that the chicken is well coated in seasoning before browning it in the Instant Pot.
- When you brown the chicken, start by browning in HOT oil breast side DOWN.
- If your chicken is smaller/bigger than the one in this recipe, the cooking time will be different. 3 lbs will cook in 25 minutes, 4 lbs will cook in 30 minutes, 5 lbs will cook in 35 minutes and so on.
- Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes before serving.
- Use the leftovers for other recipes such as this Instant Pot chicken noodle soup, Rasta pasta, Caesar pasta salad, or meal prep for the week!
Serving: 1whole chicken | Calories: 2550kcal | Carbohydrates: 330g | Protein: 181g | Fat: 52g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 706mg | Sodium: 798mg | Potassium: 3082mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 10296IU | Vitamin C: 68mg | Calcium: 298mg | Iron: 14mg