Pico De Gallo
Pico de gallo is a classic Mexican salsa that's used to top fajitas, burritos, tacos, enchiladas, and chimichangas. Made with very simple ingredients, this healthy, low carb and low-calorie salsa adds a great flavor boost to any meal (and not just Mexican dishes!).
- 4 tomatoes ripe (I recommend plum tomatoes)
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 bunch cilantro/coriander just the leaves
- 1 green chili serrano or jalapeno
- 1-2 limes
- 1 tsp sea salt
Chop the tomatoes into ⅓ inch pieces, and finely dice the onion, the coriander, and the chilli.
Mix all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, and season with salt. Squeeze a lime and have a taste and see if you need more lime juice or salt. Serve immediately.
- Pico de gallo is best when eaten fresh at room temperature or slightly chilled (doesn't taste good if it's cold).
- Feel free to use 2 chillis instead of 1 if you like spicy salsa.
- Can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Not suitable for freezing.
Calories: 42kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 627mg | Potassium: 359mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1160IU | Vitamin C: 25.7mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 0.5mg