A great autumn starter, crispy cauliflower florets covered in pumpkin batter and fried to golden brown…
As I kid I hated cooked cauliflower, which is sad, because truth is I never even tried it! I would just eat a raw floret or 2, but would never try eating it fried or baked, I even couldn’t stand the smell of it being cooked! I’m in my mid twenties now, and only recently did I try eating cooked cauliflower! And I gotta say that I love it now! I now make cauliflower crust calzones, or fry the cauliflower in pumpkin batter – which is not the healthiest way to eat cauliflower since it’s fried, but it tastes great and I love it!
And as you probably already know, this month I’ve been cooking/baking quite a lot with pumpkin, and to add some flavour and nutrients to this recipe, I covered the cauliflower florets with pumpkin batter and then fried it to make these beautiful crispy fritters. They make a great starter with ranch sauce on the side as a dip.
Pumpkin Cauliflower Fritters
- 1 cauliflower head
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- pinch of salt
- vegetable oil for frying
- Wash and cut the cauliflower head into small florets (bites size), in a medium bowl mix all of the ingredients together. The batter shouldn't be too thick or runny so add water accordingly until you reach the right consistency.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat (I use my wok), dip each floret in the batter and fry it until golden brown and crispy.
- Make sure that the heat is not high so that the cauliflower florets cook through and are kind of soft in the inside. Serve immedietly
More delicious fritters from fellow bloggers: