Simple and healthy peach buckwheat porridge topped with pumpkin seeds.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and life is too short not to eat good food! And buckwheat porridge is a very popular Russian breakfast. My Mum always cooked it for us for breakfast when I was a child and that’s where the love for buckwheat actually came from!! 🙂
Buckwheat is highly nourishing, energising, and delicious kind of superfood. It can be eaten instead of rice, but I personally enjoy it more for breakfast in the form of sweetened porridge with milk, topped with healthy seeds, nuts, or even better, with peaches. I love peach buckwheat porridge!
Why is buckwheat is so good for you?
- It contains no gluten, therefore it’s great for gluten sensitive diets (and it is not a grain).
- It has high quality protein containing all 9 essential amino acids.
- Buckwheat is rich in iron and antioxidants.
- It is filled with many minerals and vitamins like zinc, copper, and niacin.
- It keeps you full for longer.
- Buckwheat’s dietary fibre can reduce blood cholesterol levels.
- It prevents colon cancer.
- It helps reduce blood sugar levels.
- Buckwheat aids liver function.
- It helps with weight loss.
So if you want to eat healthy, you should start incorporating buckwheat in your diet. As this sort of food just screams healthy!! It is tasty and has an earthy flavour. It is full of texture, and most importantly it is good for you!
Peach Buckwheat Porridge
- 1/4 cup buckwheat uncooked
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk or almond milk
- 1 peach
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- In a small pot, bring water to boil. Add uncooked buckwheat groats, cover the pot and simmer for 10 minutes (or until water is absorbed). Turn off heat and let it sit for 10 minutes more.Tip: Buckwheat tends to be mushy when it's first cooked. Leaving it covered for 10 minutes (or so) will allow to absorb the additional moisture, therefore, will keep its shape.
- To make porridge, transfer cooked buckwheat to a bowl. Add warm milk and maple syrup. Give it a stir and top with peaches and seeds.